Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo

Posted by: kevonionia

Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo - 05/06/10 01:23 PM

. . . or shall we say, ti vs. baa (make mtn. goat sound)

So is there a lightweight alternative to the titanium spork without going PLASTIC?
There is:

Snowpeak titanium spork vs. To-Go Wear bamboo fork and spoon.

The ti spork comes in at .6 oz. The bamboo fork AND spoon combined come in at the same .6 oz. Advantage of two utensils over one? Those pointed prongs on the spork, when only eating a soup or stew, are annoying. You got soup, then just use the spoon.

Why bamboo?

Ecologically friendly, reuseable, natural. Virtually unbreakable (I tried.) And just a nice feel in your hand.

I got my bamboos as a set from To-Go Wear:

Neat little set in a holder made from recycled plastic bottles that has a lightweight carbiner attached. In the set are spoon, fork, knife and a pair of chopsticks (great for Ramen noodleheads.) Price is about $12, a little more than a titanium spork. But you can buy just the spoon/fork/knife for only $5 from To-Go Wear , and that's less than a ti spork.

The bamboo utentils are biodegradeable (but one might say a ti spork will NEVER end up in a landfill), and that beats the hell out of the plastic sporks.

I'm storing my knife,chopsticks & carbiner at home and taking the holder, fork & spoon. Weight is .8 oz vs. a ti's .6. But worth it.

Posted by: thecook

Re: Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo - 05/06/10 01:33 PM

Nice! And no worries about scratching your nonstick pot or melting your utensil.
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo - 05/06/10 01:55 PM

Nice find, great price and a reasonable shipping cost of $2.56 brings the total for the fork, knife and spoon combo to $7.51.

The only downside for me is that I am guessing the fork or spoon won't fit neatly into my smaller pots, namely the SP 600 and 700.

Just out of curiosty what are the dimensions of both the fork and spoon?
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo - 05/06/10 02:05 PM

And it's multipurpose, in case you need an emergency firestarter... grin

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo - 05/06/10 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By Glenn
And it's multipurpose, in case you need an emergency firestarter... grin

Sorry, couldn't resist.

laugh laugh laugh

Re: Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo - 05/06/10 03:28 PM

ChrisFol:

The bamboo fork and spoon are 7" long, with the spoon 1 5/8" wide, the fork a little narrower. (About 5/8" longer than a snowpeak ti.) They're too thick for either to go in the slot on the lid of my ti pot . . . but hey, they fit great in the bamboo pot I just bought! grin wink
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo - 05/07/10 10:41 AM

Yep, I have had a set of them for awhile. They are nice - but - I will admit I do prefer a Rehydrate spoon for bag eating. For pot or bowl eating the bamboo ones are great smile
Posted by: aimless

Re: Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo - 05/07/10 02:01 PM

Don't knock bamboo pots. They work great. You just have to use the old Native American trick of heating up rocks, then putting the hot rocks into the pot to heat the water. It works like a charm in watertight woven baskets, too! smile

Re: Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo - 05/07/10 02:39 PM

aimless:

...putting the hot rocks into the pot to heat the water...

Yeah, but carrying around those hot rocks can be an ordeal. grin
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo - 05/07/10 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By kevonionia
aimless:

...putting the hot rocks into the pot to heat the water...

Yeah, but carrying around those hot rocks can be an ordeal. grin

Nobody does that anymore. Most of us have gone to carrying HLW (high level 'nuclear' waste) for heating our water. New, ultra-lite, lead lined bear bags and hot isotopes make carrying around heated rocks a thing of the past.

Re: Utensils: Titanium vs. bamboo - 05/08/10 02:43 AM

paul:

Quote:
Most of us have gone to carrying HLW (high level 'nuclear' waste) for heating our water.

You've got to stop buying your hiking stuff from that online place peddling the old Soviet army surplus gear manufactured in Pripyat, Ukraine in the late 1980s.