dehydrating canned soups

Posted by: Jake28

dehydrating canned soups - 03/04/10 04:50 PM

hello all,

i recently got a food dehydrator and im loving it. i made some chili and dehydrated it, the stuff was still great a month later. excellent jerky as well.

i was thinking about dehydrating some chunky brand soups for my next outting. they are very cheap at $1.52, but one can is big enough to fill me. i was wondering if anyone has ever tried this before and could give me some advice. thanks

Jake
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: dehydrating canned soups - 03/04/10 05:05 PM

I haven't tried canned soups, just canned beans. I have dehydrated a few frozen dinners. Be sure to cut the meat and veggies up really small before drying so they'll rehydrate in a reasonable time.

As with anything else, dehydrate just one portion and try rehydrating and taste-testing at home before doing anything in quantity! See the recent post by ncmtns!
Posted by: finallyME

Re: dehydrating canned soups - 03/04/10 05:44 PM

All I can think of is why? You can buy dehydrated soups. The reason you dehydrate yourself is to control the ingredients. You can't control the ingredients with canned soup. I wish you luck anyways. To each his own.
Posted by: sarbar

Re: dehydrating canned soups - 03/04/10 06:01 PM

The only warning I can share is this:
Canned items will often become more concentrated in taste - in other words it can "taste" a lot saltier and more like chemicals.

But...otherwise most will dry just fine. Just avoid anything with HFCS and corn syrup as they will dry slower.