Small plastic bottles

Posted by: Andy

Small plastic bottles - 08/17/09 09:16 PM

Will someone please post a link for good-quality plastic bottles that don't leak - the 1-ounce, 2-ounce ones etc. Even when I bag mine I still end up with something dripping or leaking - syrup, olive oil, etc...

I like flip tops or pop-open caps better than screw-on caps.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Small plastic bottles - 08/18/09 09:35 AM

Try your grocery store, see if they sell like an 8-pack or whatever of 8-oz plastic soda pop bottles (you get the pop too).
Don't leak, last pretty well, cheap to replace when they go out. Weighs less than an ounce, holds all you want. I use these on longer trips for olive oil and in general for alcohol (fuel).

REI sells little plastic bottles with screw caps, I think in 2, 4, and 8 oz sizes (?). I've used the 4 oz size for olive oil, and around home it's a nice size to carry a little water for a several mile home-based walk. Looks like a miniature booze flask, i.e., fits in a pocket nicely. I'm not sure it's much lighter (or any lighter) than the 8-oz pop bottle. The plastic is thinner on those, but they really do stand up to quite a bit. Bulkier, of course.
Posted by: Fiddleback

Re: Small plastic bottles - 08/18/09 10:45 AM

Talk to your friends and family...recycled contact lens solution bottles are leak-proof, nearly indestructible and have removeable, fine-nozzle tips -- some with screw-on caps, some with flip tops. Common sizes are 1/3oz, 1oz, 4oz (now 3½) and 12oz.

The price is pretty good, too. wink

FB
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Small plastic bottles - 08/18/09 10:47 AM

Wrap plumbers tape around all your bottles threads. Leaves them nearly always sealed. Easy to do.

Or, carry single serving packets of oil, syrup, etc. They can really work better in the long run.
Posted by: lori

Re: Small plastic bottles - 08/18/09 01:37 PM

There's a whole rack of different size bottles and tubes at REI. If I can't recycle something at home, I'll pick up something for seventy five cents at REI. They have 2 oz fliptop lid bottles, vials, bags, and ones with screw on lids.

Posted by: Andy

Re: Small plastic bottles - 08/18/09 08:40 PM

Thanks all - I'll look around. The Coghlans don't cut it.
Posted by: JimM_PA

Re: Small plastic bottles - 08/18/09 09:39 PM

I bought a package of small Nalgene bottles a couple of years ago. They have been solid performers for me.
They look like this travel kit:
http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1164
Posted by: Tabasco

Re: Small plastic bottles - 08/27/09 12:45 PM

Go to your local pharmacy. Liquid medicine bottles do NOT leak. Period. Comes in handy 2, 4, 6, and 8OZ varieties too.

Free with a smile usually.