Veg*n ideas?

Posted by: EricaStolte

Veg*n ideas? - 06/27/09 08:45 AM

Please post your ideas for veg*n ( that's vegetarian OR vegan) hiking foods.

Things I took out with me on my past hiking trip were:
-dried fruits
- noodle soup
- rice and beans
- soy jerky
- soy drink powder with oatmeal
Posted by: thecook

Re: Veg*n ideas? - 06/27/09 03:05 PM

Nuts crazy I use peanuts (yeah, they're actually a legume) on rice with a variety of spices or dried fruits or on pasta - crushed with soy sauce and sesame oil makes a nice asian inspired noodle dish, or as peanut butter with soy sauce, sesame oil, cayene pepper or crushed red peppers and optional ketchup for a Pad Thai like dish. Try pistaccios and dates with couscous, chopped walnuts with olive oil, garlic, bread crumbs and parsley for a Mediteranean style dish. Cashews are great with curried rice, couscous, or rice noodles. The variations are endless. India, Asia, and the Mediteranean are great places to look for recipes.
Posted by: ttaboro

Re: Veg*n ideas? - 07/06/09 06:08 PM

How do you make Soy Jerky?

I take miso soup packets. Some of the Taste of Thai and Simply Asia meals you get in the grocery store are vegan.

I also like chocolate soy protein powder mixed with a bit of instant coffee.
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: Veg*n ideas? - 07/06/09 11:49 PM

Don't remember where I found this on the web, but here goes:

¼ cup soy sauce
3/8 cup water
2 T liquid smoke
1 T onion powder or some grated fresh onion
1 t garlic powder or 1 clove crushed garlic
½ t ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 T honey
1 lb. firm or extra-firm tofu

Cut and drain the tofu. Cut 1 lb. cube in half, then slice it into strips on its short side. Strips should be about 4-5 mm in thickness. They may look big but they’ll shrink to about ½ their size.

Mix all the marinade ingredients together well. Put the tofu in a single layer in a shallow baking pan or cookie sheet and pour the marinade over it. Let soak for several hours or overnight.

Drain excess liquid (may be reused) and dry tofu in food dehydrator or 200 degree oven. This will take 4 to 8 hours, depending on weather. Flip the tofu over hourly so it dries evenly. Dry until it is very chewy, but not crispy.
Posted by: Roocketman

Re: Veg*n ideas? - 07/28/09 10:24 PM

There are several places on the web to buy dehydrated vegetables. I wonder if they are allowed in your diet?

I use vegetable flakes from www.spicebarn.com . I would recommend that you have several dehydrated veggies and mix and match for variety.

But, that variety thing is from an Omnivore, and you may have no need for variety.
Posted by: phat

Re: Veg*n ideas? - 07/29/09 11:11 AM

Things my veggie freinds take:

1) Blocks of Parmigiano Reggio with rye crispbreads or bagels
2) Vegitarian Natural High or Mary Janes farm backpacking meals
3) nuts, trail mix, etc.
4) dried fruit (apples, mangoes, etc.)
6) instant hummus, and pita bread or chips (look for "casbah" or "fantastic foods" brand dehydrated hummus in the grocery store)
7) Mac N' Cheeze

Posted by: Roocketman

Re: Veg*n ideas? - 07/30/09 08:22 PM

I like the instant Famous brand Refried Beans. Just add hot water - great for freezer bag cooking or conventional cook and clean pot methodology. Mych tastier than normal instant potatoes, and there are powdered cheese sauces to really perk them up.