Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hiking

Posted by: scottyb

Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hiking - 01/06/09 10:58 PM

I'm looking for something to keep food in the Grand Canyon. Of course bears are not a consideration, but the squirrels, rats, mice, ringtail cats, and ravens seem to have adapted well. I have searched most of the online dealers listed and have not had any luck, other than a bear vault.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hiking - 01/07/09 08:16 AM

I use an Ursack for my GC and other desert hikes. A dedicated mouse can chew through an Ursack, or so I am told, but I have never lost food from one other than to ants. Mine is one of the older greenish versions. It doesn't hurt to hang your food, if possible.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hiking - 01/07/09 08:20 AM

An Ursack? (Pika beat me to it, but here's the link.)

Re: Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hiking - 01/07/09 09:46 AM

Thanks. I knew I had read about them somewhere but couldn't remember the name. It looks like they are sold direct, rather than through an outfitter. Do you try to hang them if possible or just tie them to something heavy? I know trees are scarce but rock walls are readily available.
Posted by: chaz

Re: Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hiking - 01/07/09 04:24 PM

I always hang my food if possible. But,don't all those critters climb trees? What keeps them from getting to your food. I know I've seen squirrels doing hand stands and accrobatics in trees.
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hik - 01/07/09 08:52 PM

Hanging your food in a plastic or nylon bag still leaves it vulnerable to birds. So I was told by a G.C. ranger.

The last time I backpacked in the Grand Canyon I bought a Ratsack directly from the permit office. The Village store sells them too, at least they did last April.

The medium size easily held 3+ day's worth of food. It's not the cheapest or lightest solution but I felt very confident when leaving my food unattended and while sleeping.

Re: Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hik - 01/10/09 07:57 PM

Another good idea. Thanks

What type of attachments do you use in the rock?
Posted by: kurtibm

Re: Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hiking - 01/12/09 06:30 PM

Are you setting a cache for use days/weeks later, or is this for use by you on a backpacking trip?
What part(s) of the Canyon will you be visiting?

The Ratsack guy in Flag seems to have 'flaked' and is not shipping, or responding to inquiries about, his product.

Cheap, effective alternatives include cookie tins (available in round, square, rectangular, etc.) or a (virgin) paint can.

kurt
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hik - 01/12/09 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By scottyb

I use a very high tech approach.......I crammed a stick into a crack laugh

Re: Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hik - 01/13/09 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By Trailrunner
Originally Posted By scottyb

I use a very high tech approach.......I crammed a stick into a crack laugh

Can't beat the price.
Posted by: Coffeefiend

Re: Food Storage In Grand Canyon or any Desert Hiking - 02/04/09 11:44 AM

There are all sorts of cheap, lightweight tupperwear-type products on the market today. They can be difficult to pack, but they're light, smell-proof and nearly tamper-proof, and they can be used as a drinking cup or, conversely, water-tight storage should the need arise.