Toasted Oats, Toasted Wheat Berries

Posted by: coyotemaster

Toasted Oats, Toasted Wheat Berries - 11/10/08 09:13 AM

I really like to toast my regular rolled oats (not the quick oats mush), at home, in a cast iron dutch oven.
On low/moderate heat I warm up my pan and then throw in about 1 cup of oats and stir constantly with a wooden spatula until everything is nice & toasted, then pour them in a ceramic bowl I use for cooling, add more oats to the pan & keep toasting. I love the aroma while do it and I love the flavor later.
I add boiling water to make oats, just as usual, but the flavor is more wholesome (to me).
I also add the toasted oats to gorp. Very tasty. I think the toasted (pre-cooked) oats is easier on the digestion when eaten dry in gorp.

I also have lots (like 1/2 a ton at least)of canned, stored, whole winter wheat (courtesy of my association with some Mormon friends, they have/know the cheapest sources for oats, wheat, beans, rice etc, contact your local ward and be prepared to buy 25-50lb bags at a time but far cheaper than the grocery store)
I toast my whole wheat similarly, 1/3-1/2 cup at a time. Stirring constantly with a wooden spatula, the kernels pop & wiggle and when they slow down or stop and they look nice & toasted I pour them off into a ceramic bowl to cool down, add more wheat to the pan and keep toasting until I have a quart of toasted wheat in the cooling bowl.
I use the toasted wheat kernels like nuts, added to gorp or alone.
If I run the toasted wheat thru a grinder set to just crack the kernel & bust it up, the coarse ground toasted wheat is bulgar. To use bulgar, add boiling water to cover, let sit a few minutes, add a little honey or drop in a chocolate chip to melt, dissolve & stir in. Wonderful.

I just made some toasted oats for breakfast this morning & am getting ready for a campout later this month. Just thought I'd share.
Posted by: hoz

Re: Toasted Oats, Toasted Wheat Berries - 11/10/08 09:38 AM

Many years ago I bought a Mormon survival book that had recipes using whole wheat.

Seems they believe in putting back enough food to support themselves for a year. Wheat, water, a little salt and sugar was all the book said you needed.

Boiled wheat, toasted wheat, wheat hamburger, wheat flapjacks, wheat kabobs...it was the Mormon Gump of Wheat!!!
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Toasted Oats, Toasted Wheat Berries - 11/19/08 01:57 PM

Quote:
Many years ago I bought a Mormon survival book that had recipes using whole wheat.

Seems they believe in putting back enough food to support themselves for a year. Wheat, water, a little salt and sugar was all the book said you needed.

Boiled wheat, toasted wheat, wheat hamburger, wheat flapjacks, wheat kabobs...it was the Mormon Gump of Wheat!!!

Here is from the horses mouth of what mormon's teach about food storage. Family Home Storage

As for toasted oats, I need to try that and see how it tastes. Sounds yummy.