baking

Posted by: thecook

baking - 10/03/08 06:47 PM

Hey All, just thought I'd share my experience with baking. I am using a mini zen with a grease pot and combining ideas from a number of different sources. Wrap the stove with foil to cover the side holes and fill with fuel to just under the holes. Make up 1/2 cup of biscuit mix (your own recipe or bisquik) and pat into one, big, flat biscuit. This goes in a child's aluminum cake pan. The cake pan sits in the grease pot 1/2" above the bottom of the pan-I use a ring cut from a coke can to get this space but any spacer will do. Cover your grease pot with aluminum foil with a 1/2" square flap cut in it. The biscuit will bake in 20-30 minutes, which is how long the stove runs. Heat control is by opening and closing the flap. Viola! Baked (not steamed) food for 1 to 1 1/2 oz fuel. Hope your mouth is watering now, mine sure is!
Posted by: chaz

Re: baking - 10/05/08 12:58 PM

Good idea. Another is one I found on this site and I can't remember who posted it. But basicly, you put your mix in a piece of heavy foil like the one used to bake a turkey in. Cut a circle from the pan and form a smaller pan for your mix. Make sure that it fits into a pot that has a lid. Put a few small rocks in the pot, put in the homemade foil pan with the mix and put on the lid. I don't know the baking times etc but thats the general idea. Anyone out there feel free to expand on this.
Posted by: thecook

Re: baking - 10/05/08 07:20 PM

Same general idea, just a variant. I had not thought of rocks as a way to get the pan with the dough off the bottom of the cooking pan though. Nice idea and doesn't weigh anything. Thanks!
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: baking - 10/06/08 03:07 PM

I don't know if you are remembering the recycled disposable pie pan idea that I posted here years ago or cutting up a flat pan idea that you read somewhere else.

I prefer using a strip of aluminum that I've cut from a soda can or other leftover aluminum. Why? Two reasons: The strip I've carried in is cleaner, so any water that boils up isn't carrying debris from the rocks and I can use the water for something else, like washing something. (I try to have very few dishes.) Another reason is I like to have my cooking pan horizontal, not tilted. Liquid foods will run to the side, resulting in uneven cooking. Even biscuits can be affected by a tilt.

CamperMom