TR- overnight in Desolation Wilderness, CA

Posted by: wandering_daisy

TR- overnight in Desolation Wilderness, CA - 10/01/15 11:59 PM

Did an overnight trip with Lupe. We had fun! Easy trip and very "paw friendly". Ran into other dogs too. Here are a few photos.

Lupe swims

Upper Twin Lake

Lupe helps me fish

Sunset at Upper Twin Lake

Upper Twin Lake
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: TR- overnight in Desolation Wilderness, CA - 10/02/15 05:54 PM

Lupe certainly is a handsome dog! How long does it take her to dry out after a swim?

Re: TR- overnight in Desolation Wilderness, CA - 10/02/15 07:47 PM

About an hour in sunlight dries her out. She is real good at shaking off most of the water. As long as she does short swims, her fur seems to repel water so it is only on the surface and easily shakes off.

Another guy was up there with his dog, a one year old Australian Shepherd who also was jumping into the water. The two dogs chased each other around for a while.

Desolation Wilderness is pretty dog-friendly with their policies. Much of the Sierra is under National Park authority and they do not allow dogs, so areas that do get heavily used by dog owners.

Lupe is a great tent partner- pretty quiet and still and very warm and cuddly. I sewed a light weight nylon sleeping bag cover so even if she gets wet and dirty, my sleeping bag stays clean.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: TR- overnight in Desolation Wilderness, CA - 10/04/15 11:31 PM

So where did you camp on this trip? Any fishing?

Re: TR- overnight in Desolation Wilderness, CA - 10/04/15 11:48 PM

It was a very short trip-only overnight- camped at the lower Twin Lake. I fished both Twin Lakes and Island Lake and caught nothing. I put up some more photos on the High Sierra Topix forum. In fact, I put the photos as a reply to your post on your recent trip.

I tweaked my knee on my Emigrant Wilderness trip the prior week and needed to test it before doing a longer trip to Sabrina Basin. Knee passed the test. I thought Lupe would enjoy this short trip so took her. She tends to have tender paws, so I do not take her on long mile trips. I also am trying to figure out a new backpack so this overnight was the "shake down".
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: TR- overnight in Desolation Wilderness, CA - 10/05/15 09:37 AM

Thanks--I saw the post on HST later.

Sounds like the perfect plan. Desolation isn't perfect, but it sure is convenient!