Dog cart

Posted by: finallyME

Dog cart - 01/08/12 05:37 PM

This might be stretching the topic of backpacking with animals. Although, around here in the desert areas, most of the trails are wide, and there is little water (definition of a desert smile ). This cart would help with water transport. Anyways, here is a video of my dog cart I recently finished.

Dog cart
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Dog cart - 01/08/12 09:26 PM

I suspect that dogs built for pulling (such as yours) could haul a lot more than they could carry.

The cart, being wheeled, wouldn't be allowed in wilderness areas (trails probably too narrow anyway). However, a sled in winter would be. Mush!
Posted by: DBlair1969

Re: Dog cart - 01/11/12 02:04 PM

I have recently started bringing my "Very Tame" Pit Bull along on hikes. He loves coming out with me.. I have looked into dog pull events, and have seen that an average pit bull can pull well over 500 lbs with no real effort, wheels on smooth ground, of course... I may now have to buy a pulling harness and see what I can come up with.. I do a lot of rock hunting, If he can pull water and some of my finds then we may have a winner here...
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Dog cart - 01/11/12 03:33 PM

Even a little terrier can pull an amazing amount. I saw one do that. At least locally in the Portland metro area, the Pit Bull Association shows are open to all breeds including mutts, with no registration papers needed. It's really the only way those with unregistered dogs can participate in obedience, agility and other performance events, since the AKC rules all other shows and requires breed registration even for non-conformation events.

I made the decision not to try to show Hysson in obedience classes, although I was urged to do so by his obedience training instructors.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Dog cart - 01/11/12 06:00 PM

One thing I have noticed with the cart is that the pulling friction is very low (compared to the sled). That is what you get with bearings and wheels I guess. What this means is that my dog can pull a lot more weight in the trailer than she can with the sled. Of course, I have only used the trailer on paved roads. Loose sand is much harder.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Dog cart - 01/12/12 12:37 PM

Looks like fun to me.