dog mukluks

Posted by: Jimshaw

dog mukluks - 12/08/11 03:21 PM

anybody have experience making and using dog mukluks? I'm thinking step in - lace up, maybe suspenders. Maybe fur. I've noticed that most animals have their fur on the outside, yet Eskimos put the fur on the inside. Perhaps its different when the fur is attached to your own skin? confused
Jim smile
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: dog mukluks - 12/08/11 03:37 PM

Do you mean booties? I know the mushers make them out of polar fleece here. They also use velcro to keep them on... well more or less on.

I can ask and see where a pattern is, if you like.
Posted by: BZH

Re: dog mukluks - 12/08/11 03:58 PM

My mom made some booties for my dog when I was a kid. They were made out of Gortex or something like it and held in place with elastic. The elastic was a little too tight and made the dog walk funny. She kind of looked like one of those fancy horses trotting
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: dog mukluks - 12/08/11 04:06 PM

Heather
right on - musher booties, they outght know how to make them.

My Lady dog is a Labrador retriever - pit bull blend. Sort of a stocky Lab with short front legs and a chest about as wide as her front legs are long. However she looks exactly like a Lab fron the top and rear, but she has very little hair on her underside, and is hairless between her back legs - this is from the pit blood. BUT her belly dries in a couple minutes when she gets out of her pond, only of course if I break the ice so she can jump in... smile

Anyway she needs some belly protection. Maybe a tube coat (sweater), just long eough to cover her torso between the legs.

Sure would appreciate ideas from mushers as I would really like to ski with this dog as shes really a powerful 60 pounds and could pull me.
Jim
Posted by: finallyME

Re: dog mukluks - 12/08/11 05:10 PM

My dog doesn't use booties or anything to keep her warm. But, all the equipment I got for her, I bought at Black Ice. They seem to know their stuff. Here are some ideas.

Dog booties
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: dog mukluks - 12/08/11 05:29 PM

This is what I was talking about:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82820818/medium-fleece-dog-booties

These do not cover the belly. A dog coat might work though.

Maybe something like this (covers the belly and more):
http://www.bwdogcoats.com/guide-service-dog-winter-coats.html
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: dog mukluks - 12/08/11 06:21 PM

I'll second the stuff at Black Ice. Decent price too.

sK

I have a good pattern for regular lace up leather boots. They are generally not good for wet conditions though.

Re: dog mukluks - 12/09/11 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By skcreidc
I'll second the stuff at Black Ice. Decent price too.

sK

I have a good pattern for regular lace up leather boots. They are generally not good for wet conditions though.

I know I saw somewhere someone making leather ones for their dog. I think it was you. Did you put up a picture here on this site?

Re: dog mukluks - 12/09/11 10:01 AM

I don't think I have posted pictures of them, but I have talked about them before. If you look really close at Tica's front 2 feet, you can see 'em. grin I'll have to put a picture up.

Re: dog mukluks - 12/09/11 10:30 AM

Ha ha, I caught you red handed. Look at your trip report for Ruskie Pass. You put a picture of your leather dog booties. I knew it was you. laugh

Re: dog mukluks - 12/09/11 12:13 PM

Ooop! Can I blame that on my age yet? There must be some advantage to turning 55... laugh

Re: dog mukluks - 12/09/11 12:17 PM

Jim...did I read right? Suspenders? OK, here's the thing. When you first put the boots on your dog, make sure you are filming because it is hilarious. Dogs usually prance around like saddlebreds. That combined with the suspenders will likely be a keeper.

Re: dog mukluks - 12/09/11 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By skcreidc
Jim...did I read right? Suspenders? OK, here's the thing. When you first put the boots on your dog, make sure you are filming because it is hilarious. Dogs usually prance around like saddlebreds. That combined with the suspenders will likely be a keeper.

That gave me a good idea for a youtube video. smile
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: dog mukluks - 12/09/11 02:38 PM

Dog in boots is hilarious--but don't laugh at him/her, if you want the dog to learn to tolerate the boots!

Jim, re warm dog jacket that covers most of the belly, here's a site that makes thick fleece ones: Apache River Dog Coats
It looks as though several dealers carry them; you might check prices on all.

My daughter had one of these for her Viszla--as you may know, that is a really short-haired breed. They are a lot more expensive now, she says, than when she got one 10 years ago!

You might also check out the Ruffwear fleece dog coat, although it doesn't appear to cover as much of the tummy.