dog owners warning

Posted by: Jimshaw

dog owners warning - 04/14/11 07:26 PM

this is from another post
I believe my dog caught hepatitis eating human droppings around Mt Hood last year. She was getting too skinny and we discovered that her liver is badly damaged. If its hep or something it should respond to the 5 pills a day that she gets, if its liver cancer then I'll just love her as much as I can each day she's around. I could kick myself for not muzzling her when running loose in high use camping areas.

So anyway this is a warning. If you take your dog to an area where people camp, especially car camping especially with live stock, either keep her on a leash or muzzle her so she can't eat poisons or crap or worse - old McDonalds hamburger wrappers yuck. My dog passed a blue kitchen sponge after a visit to the creek one day. Now we're fighting to save her life probably because of something she ate and I'm gonna be into it to a tune of over a thousand dollars, so think about that before leting your dog run loose.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: dog owners warning - 04/14/11 09:02 PM

That's too sad Jim. I'm sorry to hear about it.

Posted by: skcreidc

Re: dog owners warning - 04/14/11 09:13 PM

It sucks big time. I know how you feel. Hope you all survive the ordeal.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: dog owners warning - 04/14/11 09:45 PM

Sorry to hear that Jim, I hope all goes well.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: dog owners warning - 04/14/11 10:11 PM

So sorry to hear about your dog! Another of the many good reason for using that leash! Here's hoping for a favorable outcome! Hysson sends his best wishes, too!
Posted by: Howie

Re: dog owners warning - 04/15/11 12:51 AM

My condolences too Jim. We get so attached to our animals, especially dogs. It could have been from contaminated water. In that case there wasn’t much you could have done. That is, unless you always filter your dog's water. I don't tend to worry about it but perhaps I should.

Posted by: PerryMK

Re: dog owners warning - 04/15/11 04:26 AM

Ember sends her woofs. I hope your dog recovers.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: dog owners warning - 04/15/11 01:32 PM

Howie, hepatitis is caused by a virus, so filtering would make no difference. However, the canine hepatitis virus is different from the ones which cause hepatitis in humans. There are also other conditions (some genetic) which cause the same symptoms.

Probably the most important preventive is keeping your dog current on his vaccines (canine hepatitis is part of the core vaccine package). Which reminds me that Hysson is due for his, and I'd better get on the phone to the vet!
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: dog owners warning - 04/15/11 10:46 PM

Thanks you guys for the outpouring of good wishes for Roxy. Shes put on a couple pounds so her hip bones don't stick out and shes frisky and strong. She likes two cans a day of doggie food plus scraps, a hot dog cut into pieces for her 5 pills and a piece of kraft cheeseburger cheese.

Now I have to go in and get my blood test...

Thanks OM for the information.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: dog owners warning - 04/15/11 11:03 PM

Good grief Jim! I guess you have to exhaust all alternatives. frown
good luck on that also.
Posted by: 11B38X

Re: dog owners warning - 03/23/16 05:02 AM

Whatever happen with your dog, Sir?