just popped up

Posted by: Jimshaw

just popped up - 09/30/12 05:48 PM

Well our master gardens are continually blowing our minds with new flowers. These popped up today - as the name implies, its from Tunisia which for the geographically impared, is on the Mediteranian in north Africa. its a zone 9 plant!! My house is at 4,000 feet above sealevel in the East Cascade range in Oregon. It can below zero here in the winter, even 20 below, and its a mediteranian plant. It has a huge corm - I've only seen a corner of it, but the corm (bulb like thingy) must be 5 inches across and its covered with tiny 3 inch tall flowes on the end of sort of vine stems. Way pretty...

http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_TH...fricanum_47.jpg
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: just popped up - 09/30/12 08:36 PM

Those are fantastic!

Any scent?
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: just popped up - 10/01/12 10:02 AM

You have Cyclamen planted in your garden?! Very cool...and amazing. I wonder if it is C. hederifolium; that species is supposed to be pretty hardy. If the flowers point up it might be. You might want to toss some mulch on it just before the first frost hits to protect the bulb from turning to mush. But if bulb has been exposed this whole time to snow and everything....I guess it doesn't need it. Pretty darn amazing!
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: just popped up - 10/09/12 10:17 PM

Nice Jim.
Duane
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: just popped up - 10/21/12 03:12 PM

Its been 28 degrees at night lately. I can look out my window and see the flowers - they are some of the hardiest flowers in the garden? It is C. Africanum, and it might have been grown here from seed. It did not flower last year - this is the first time we've seen it. I would definitely mulch it but its covered with flowers! Even my Eidelveiss have died back!!!!

Jim
Posted by: SurvivalDad

Re: just popped up - 04/04/15 01:41 PM

Very nice!