2011 Garden - Strawberries

Posted by: packlite

2011 Garden - Strawberries - 02/22/12 12:56 PM

Just wanted to share a couple photos. I've been too busy to contribute to this forum, but have desired to do so for quite a while. So now, just taking some time to post a couple pics of last year's crops.

We did pretty good with Strawberries last year. We're adding Raspberries this year but not yet sure how they'll do in this region.

Here's a couple of photos of harvest and also my daughter picking in our main patch.

Posted by: billstephenson

Re: 2011 Garden - Strawberries - 02/22/12 07:13 PM

That's great harvest, and they look delicious. I had some strawberries going a long time ago, but they didn't do too well. I think I could do better now, but I need to find a better place to put them. There were some small trees growing next to a some beds I made and within a couple years they shaded them out almost completely.

Love the photo of your garden. I wish I could make one like that. Mine is in the only place that's not too shady, the middle of the few acres of pasture we have.
Posted by: BZH

Re: 2011 Garden - Strawberries - 02/23/12 12:58 PM

Looks nice!

Be careful with raspberries the bushes can run rampant and before you know it you have a whole garden full of the stuff.
Posted by: packlite

Re: 2011 Garden - Raspberries - 02/23/12 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By BZH
Looks nice!

Be careful with raspberries the bushes can run rampant and before you know it you have a whole garden full of the stuff.
Right you are. That's the plan smile

Used to have an acre of gardens and couldn't get enough of those raspberries. They are a bit of work weeding out old canes and keeping new growth in check but it's worth it. The challenge where I now live is finding the right variety and the right location where they will get sun & keep dry feet. Probably plant hills instead of rows in raised beds here and there.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: 2011 Garden - Raspberries - 02/27/12 01:29 PM

I work out of town for the week, so it's hard to give everything the attention it needs. Plus, the deer did a number on my strawberries two years ago, then the gophers did their damage last year. Did get seed ordered this last weekend, so I should have something this year, giving strawberries another shot, have not had any for 10 years now.
Duane