Any tips on keeping coons out of the corn?

Posted by: james__12345

Any tips on keeping coons out of the corn? - 07/08/11 11:25 PM

My aunt's corn is getting destroyed by coons. Does anyone have any tips for keeping them away. For now I went and set some traps for her, but she lives a good distance away, so going back and forth dealing with the traps will be a pain. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Any tips on keeping coons out of the corn? - 07/09/11 12:05 AM

I had read years ago in either 'Organic Gardening' or 'The Mother Earth News' about running your hand over the ears. Can't recall if it was a daily activity to ward them off or once in a while. They supposedly don't like the human scent on the ears. The peanut butter jar my neighbor put in her bird feeder got dragged off at night my coons. Either them or the bears she attracted to the hood. Dead bears now. Maybe a trap baited with a baited jar or whatever for the coons.

Duane
Posted by: BZH

Re: Any tips on keeping coons out of the corn? - 07/12/11 01:32 PM

coca-cola and rat poison.

Raccoons love it... most house pets do not (though I would put it up high enough to keep dogs out of it.) Of course then you have to deal with dead raccoons wherever they might crawl in their waning moments (under the house is about the worst possible location).
Posted by: GDeadphans

Re: Any tips on keeping coons out of the corn? - 07/13/11 10:26 PM

I just did a quick google search and this popped up.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/raccoon/raccoon-repellent.php

I wonder if there are any natural plants that deter racoons.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Any tips on keeping coons out of the corn? - 02/20/12 06:47 AM

Electric fence about 6 inches high around the corn.

My father used to use this for rabbits. He used 110 volts, though. When their ears touched the wire it killed them and he had a steady supply of rabbits to eat.
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Any tips on keeping coons out of the corn? - 02/27/12 10:05 PM

Gershon, Yes New a local farmer very well. I hunted his farm for years. He grew sweet corn and had a electric fence 6 inches up around his. It worked well, he gave me allot of corn! His was on a electric fence box , not 110 direct!