Fishing Rods

Posted by: newhikerhusband

Fishing Rods - 09/17/11 09:20 PM

Any suggestions for a light weight, reliable, general purpose set up?

Thanks...
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Fishing Rods - 09/17/11 09:39 PM

I personally use a Tenkara rod. It's not for everyone, but I'm having fun with it!

I've moved your post to the Backcountry Fishing section, which is a more appropriate location. A search there should find you a variety of answers.

Re: Fishing Rods - 09/17/11 09:44 PM

Thanks...
Posted by: james__12345

Re: Fishing Rods - 09/17/11 09:48 PM

What type of system are you wanting? A closed face spin casting reel, open faced spinning reel, fly fishing setup, no reel cane type pole? Its hard to make any suggestions with out some more specifics of what kind of set up you are wanting.

Re: Fishing Rods - 09/17/11 10:00 PM

Closed face able to handle small fish like crappie or bluegill.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Fishing Rods - 09/19/11 03:16 AM

Cabela's has a lot of kits of all types at reasonable prices. I've seen a number of breakdown rods with reels on their website.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Fishing Rods - 09/19/11 04:29 PM

I have a four peice eagle claw trailmaster that is both 5/6 wt fly rod and a ul spincast as the but of the rod is reversable to except both types of reals. I like to use it with a zepco t11 trigerspin or 5 wt fly real.

Experience shows that the type of the rod doesn't dictate weather or not you catch fish as much as presenting something properly to a hungry/feeding fish.
Some of the biggest fish I've ever landed were on handlines

Good luck and tight lines!
Posted by: Haiwee

Re: Fishing Rods - 09/26/11 05:57 PM

I own two of these: Micro-Lite Pack Spinning Rods from Bass Pro Shops (I liked mine so much I bought one for my ten-year old son). They aren't cheap, but are very responsive and seem to be well made. Good reel seats and they cast well even with light line.

I've owned a couple dozen "pack" rods over the years; most of them of questionable quality: I've had rods snap in half on the hook-set, pieces come apart on the cast, and reels spinning in the seats on the retrieve, among other interesting problems.