need Christmas help

Posted by: PerryMK

need Christmas help - 12/11/09 02:15 PM

So yesterday my dad says to me "You know what I'd like. A telescoping rod and reel so I can go fishing anytime, and take it with me on my travels. A good set, not a cheapo set" Thanks dad. It's only 2 weeks until Christmas. I know nothing about fishing. We all live in Florida so I guess fresh and salt water is a possibility.

So this is what I found. Obviously I like the $25 set but if it is really junk then I'll spring for the $130 set. If someone has a suggestion for a better set please send the link. Dad lives in a different town so it will be shipped to him. I'll have to buy on the next day or so.

Combo MH 2750
Devilstick MH 270, Penn reel Silverado 5000
$129.75

TELESCOPIC FISHING ROD TRAVEL BEACHCASTER And REEL NEW
CHUCK WOOLERY SIGNATURE PRODUCT rod / Zebco Titanium 33 Reel
$25.10

Posted by: Kent W

Re: need Christmas help - 12/11/09 06:58 PM

You Get what you pay for, but you need to ask Dad what he will use it for most? I tend to beleive a light to medium action rod and reel woul due. Bass Pro and Cabelas online are good options as is LL Bead and Gander Mtn.

Re: need Christmas help - 12/11/09 07:23 PM

I think it needs to handle saltwater. On that website there was only a $10 difference so I figured get the better model.

I'll look at the other sites you suggested. Thank you.
Posted by: phat

Re: need Christmas help - 12/12/09 12:05 PM

+1 on Cabelas.. Their small rigs are better than most and won't break the bank. - they'll also probably get it to you in time for xmas.
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: need Christmas help - 12/12/09 04:01 PM

No telescopic rod will be high enough quality for Saltwater fish. You should check out Cabela's Stowaway 5 or 7 piece pack rods. Do you know what kind of fish he fishes for?

Re: need Christmas help - 12/12/09 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By jasonklass
Do you know what kind of fish he fishes for?

No idea.
Posted by: phat

Re: need Christmas help - 12/12/09 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By PerryMK

No idea.

That makes it a bit tough. You kinda need to know if you're
buying gear for this:

Or this:

It would help matters greatly if you could quantify it to some extent in between wink

Re: need Christmas help - 12/12/09 06:08 PM

Due to the time restraints I opted for the Combo MH 2750 listed above. I agree one gets what one pays for. I didn't see any saltwater telescopic rod and reel combos on Cabelas but its possible I missed them. I don't want to ask too many questions of my dad as he will probably forget he asked for this so it will be a little surprise.

As for the Combo MH 2750. It is designed by a group in Florida so hopefully will be well suited here, claims to work for saltwater, and reviews on Penn reels seem to be favorable.

My dad usually has a boat and fishes in the bay around Miami. I think he is inbetween boats right now. He's also been known to fish off bridges in the Everglades and the Keys. I've heard the term snapper and king so I guess those are some of what he fishes for. He also mentioned taking it on trips. I hope this is a decent choice of rods and reel.

Posted by: Kent W

Re: need Christmas help - 12/12/09 10:09 PM

You put thought into it Merry Christmas!
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: need Christmas help - 12/19/09 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By PerryMK

No idea.

As Phat pointed out, you really need to know. Is there any way you can find out? Do you have any pictures of him with fish?