LIGHTEST WAY TO MOVE YOUR CAMP...

Posted by: Little Otter

LIGHTEST WAY TO MOVE YOUR CAMP... - 01/24/09 01:41 AM

Thought you all might get a chuckle out of this...

When good tents go bad...

Little Otter
Posted by: phat

Re: LIGHTEST WAY TO MOVE YOUR CAMP... - 01/24/09 02:55 AM

The joys of freestanding tents with nothing in them and a good wind. It's funnier when it's in the mountains and it ends up about 150 vertical meters down from where it started.

Oh, and I'm assured by the other two who were with me that it's much funnier when it's not your tent. I'll have to take their word on that though (what can I say, I was young and stupid)

Posted by: Glenn

Re: LIGHTEST WAY TO MOVE YOUR CAMP... - 02/06/09 10:37 AM

That wind appeared to have some rotation in it.

Phat: at least you've gotten older. grin

I remember a night, lying in a tent with my 8-year-old nephew. We could see the flicker/glow from the lightning on the tent wall and hear the thunder off in the distance, so I decided to teach him how to tell how far off it was: "one-one thousand, two-one thousand...and divide by... which means it's about 3 miles away." He thought that was pretty neat, and we tracked the storm's approach - until the moment that the tent completely lit up, we got to "one-one th", and he sat straight up (no mean feat, zipped into a mummy sleeping bag) and said, perfectly deadpan, "Is it time to go home now, Uncle Glenn?"
Posted by: chaz

Re: LIGHTEST WAY TO MOVE YOUR CAMP... - 02/07/09 01:11 PM

I always thought and was told that about 7seconds was about a mile away. What is the formula?
Posted by: Glenn

Re: LIGHTEST WAY TO MOVE YOUR CAMP... - 02/07/09 10:50 PM

I had to look it up myself. I googled it, and the first two sites I checked both said 5 seconds = 1 mile. Both also said that it could be a little longer, depending on local acoustic conditions, so 7 might be a little off, but still reasonable.