fuel burn w/MSR Simmerlite

Posted by: energy_turtle

fuel burn w/MSR Simmerlite - 08/30/09 04:00 PM

going out on my first solo of more than a weekend next month...I'm curious to know what I can expect out of a full 22oz MSR fuel bottle. if I intend to mostly boil 2-3 cups of water twice a day, should I easily last 6-7 days?
Posted by: thecook

Re: fuel burn w/MSR Simmerlite - 08/30/09 04:08 PM

It has been a while since I had to calculate fuel for a white gas stove but my memory has it that you need 2oz per person per day. If all you are doing is boiling water, you may actually get by with less. Test it at home. Weigh your fuel bottle; boil 3 cups of water, and weigh your fuel again.
Posted by: Eric

Re: fuel burn w/MSR Simmerlite - 08/30/09 04:13 PM

1/2 oz. of white gas should boil 3 cups of water. That's a ball park figure, it will vary a lot depending on the pot you're using, water temp, wind screen, and weather conditions. Running a few tests at home will tell you a lot.

Re: fuel burn w/MSR Simmerlite - 08/30/09 04:35 PM

Wow, I just ran a test with 2 cups of cold tap water in my Snow Peak 700ml pot and only burned 0.4oz getting it to a full rolling boil. I was expecting more than that.
Posted by: frediver

Re: fuel burn w/MSR Simmerlite - 08/31/09 02:22 PM

Remember you are home, no wind and likely have a insulated stove base etc.
Do not forget to take a decent wind screen, Alu. roof flashing works well.
What will really kill your fuel use figures will be simmering times. Boiling is easy if that is all you do, do not use your stove to keep food warm.
For a warmer I use a home made candle lantern with a sm. tub candle. I cut a window out of a short 6oz. soda can, used a
piece of clear plastic from a soda bottle to cover the window,
punched a air vent, I hang the lantern by the pull tab if needed. To use it as a warmer I just set my pot on top of the can, the window cutout does not affect the strength of the can if you do not cut out more than 20% of the total dia,
Total weight 1oz. tops, burn time 2-3 hours.

Re: fuel burn w/MSR Simmerlite - 08/31/09 03:29 PM

I have a new test to perform...I caved in on REI's $69 online price for the Brunton Vapor this morning since they can simmer REALLY well whereas my poorly-named Simmerlite does not. For this particular trip I will most likely be boiling and not much else, however.

Part of me wants to say to hell with it all and buy a Littlbug Junior wood burner though. I'd love the weight savings but I hate sooty pots!