Have you ever been looked down upon?

Posted by: keepitlow

Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/21/09 09:20 PM

In another thread a member mentioned that some people poke fun at light backpacking. I was kind of surprised to hear this. I'm new to backpacking, but it seems like common sense to pack lite as possible as you carry it all on your back. Have you ever looked down upon for being an ultralight devotee?
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/21/09 09:31 PM

Nope. Folks are either curious or oblivious, usually the latter. I have earned enough bad juju for my thoughts on encountering folks with pool chairs or frying pans dangling from their packs or lugging ice chests that I've probably earned some scorn, but I really have never encountered it.

Once you're two miles from the trailhead it's a different world.

Cheers,
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/21/09 09:50 PM

Same here. To the "lookie-Lou" crowd who are just strolling in the woods for an hour or so, all backpackers look like folks carrying big packs and going into the "scary" part of the woods.

Once you get a couple of miles in, backpackers are more knowledgeable. I've had lots of questions about whether I'm just dayhiking, but mostly people are just genuinely curious about how I got my weight down. If they ask whether I've got enough safety margin, I explain what risk I'm willing to assume (because I judge it to be remote), and how well-built gear properly used eliminates the need for the just-in-case-the-world-ends stuff. I've had a few "I could never quit worrying if I tried that" responses, but mostly it's been genuine interest and a willingness to recognize that we all have different, equally valid, approaches to having a good trip. I can't remember any, "You're doing it wrong, how can you be so stupid" reactions. Of course, it helps if you're not projecting that attitude about their gear.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/22/09 12:29 AM

Never had anybody dis me for the size of my pack. I have had people who were concerned for my safety and well being. Then I explain that my gear has all the functionality of a "normal" kit just not the weight of bulk. That usually draws more interest or sometimes disbelief.
Posted by: lori

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/22/09 01:18 AM

I'm not exactly ultralight but I do tend to have the smallest pack on the trail 80% of the time. People question the pack size and sometimes my gear choices, like the alcohol stove or the gravity filter - until I start using them, then they ask where they can get one. I get a lot of incredulous eyebrow raising when I pull out the hammock, however.
Posted by: phat

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/22/09 01:33 AM

Quote:

Have you ever been looked down upon

No not really. I probably deserve it but I've never gotten that vibe on the trail. I've been asked questions about where I'm going when I'm carrying a small pack, but usually most people who encounter me on the trail are just curious. When I stay in backcountry campsites with others I typically get at least one asking about what I have, because the hammock also usually attracts attention as well.

Have I seen that vibe in other forums? yes. but usually from the posers and the ignorant. Since I haven't ever encountered it on the trail my assumption is the vibe comes from non-backpackers hanging out in the forums pretending to know something wink
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/22/09 09:08 AM

I try to go were there are no people. Then there is no one to do that.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/22/09 09:41 AM

I have had a few negative encounters with other backpackers; mostly the "only a real man can carry a heavy pack" types. They tended to have been ex-military folks who can't conceive of being out in the wild without full logistical support and so they compensate by carrying it all with them, including body armor I think. For the most part though, the reaction I get is curiosity and interest and no negative vibes whatsoever.
Posted by: Folkalist

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/22/09 09:58 AM

Never been looked down upon by BPers or BP-ludites. Then again I'm only settling into lightweight at this point, not ultra- or super- or extreme- or whatever light.

I do have folks just completely mystified about why I go out, about how I cook and sleep, and about my safety. Most of the safety concern has to do with me being a woman and going out solo, though.

One guy (very seriously) asked if I hike all day and then stay at a hotel in town at night! Another friend didn't understand about cooking until I brought my cookset, Brunton Talon, and fuel into work and showed him how it works.

Anyone who looks down on you for making individual, well-thought-out choices when it comes to BPing isn't worth your time anyway.
Posted by: MattnID

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/22/09 12:52 PM

Hmmm...that's an interesting take. I've never encountered any negativity on carrying less, especially from ex or current military. If anything they would much rather carry less themselves and prefer it to the usual 60-100lbs of stuff they have to pack because their packing list is trying to cover all realms of possibility. I don't know how many times I sat around with everyone else criticizing the packing lists they'd give us wondering why we're bring this or that.

But then everyone's encounters are different...
Posted by: Perkolady

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/22/09 03:03 PM

I wouldn't really consider my pack to be all that light but, for the most part, I've encountered curiosity as to what was in my "small" pack. Most seemed to think I was out day hiking.

Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/22/09 04:51 PM

low

hehe - No - My Kelty is 6500 cubic inches. crazy No one knows what it weighs. wink I never use stuff sacks so my jackets and sleeping bag expand to fill the space and they just swallow up any gear I dump on top of them. My pack is normally in the 18 to 25 pound category but it looks like I am outfitted for a month in the Sierras. I can snarl and say "Oh what a tiny wussie pack you have there sonny. Is you mommy coming down the trail with your food and gear"? crazy
So anyway hows that for on topic?
Jim crazy
Actually I have on occasion stopped people to talk to them about whether they are prepared for what lies ahead based on their attire and apparent lack of gear. I have also been passed by extreme marathoners in Three Sisters Wilderness at altitude. Longhair and I were hiking out in a light rain almost snow whenwe were passed by this guy with just running shorts and a tee shirt and no water bottle or anything else and he was going to run around Broken top, a 25 mile run. It snowed that afternoon up there. crazy
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/22/09 05:55 PM

You might get asked if you have everything....but mostly what I get is that look and then a comment of how they wish THEIR pack weighed less.

A couple years ago we met a couple guys with massive old school packs. They were hiking on the PCT from the Wa border to as far north as they could. They did 7 miles a day, give or take. Their packs were 50-60 lbs at least. They saw us 3 ladies first, with 40L packs on - and when they saw the men coming behind us with the same size packs, they were shocked. They had assumed that we had men hauling the gear. (Like THAT happens)

But never looked down at. More envious than anything. Oh sure you hear snide comments about how "UL'ers mooch stuff" but when they see how you have everything you need it shuts them up.
Posted by: Bearpaw

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/22/09 11:03 PM

Being "looked down on" seems to be an internet phenomenon. When you have folks bragging about how much they spent to drop 3 ounces of weight, it can be easy to pass judgements, especially when the poster seems to only take the gear out maybe two weekends a year.

But out on the trail, it's just never been an issue.

If you spend time watching the baiting, trolling, and bickering on WhiteBlaze, you'd think the Appalachian Trail was the ultimate haven of hate and discontent in the universe. But much of the bickering is from people who already know each other and enjoy bickering. And once you hit the AT, all the vitriol is long gone. It just doesn't exist out there.

So if you feel looked down on, hit the trail. Problem solved.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/23/09 09:03 PM

Most of the silly comments I have had related to my "ski poles" and usually made not too far from a car park...
At camp often particularly "old timers" will comment about the size of my pack, including remarks about how "small" my 60 L version is...
Common comments are about how my Contrail is not good enough for the situation, from folk that have never slept inside anything like that ( having their 6-8 lbs 4 season tent pitched nearby) including the morning after. Sometimes I wonder how I survive ( and very comfortably...)
The ones that I pass before reaching camp tend not to find my gear too silly.
But I don't see any gear being "best", to me whatever folk use is just another option.
Franco
And I second the comments about WB...
Posted by: icknieldst

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/23/09 10:14 PM

Hi, I'm new here so if I make a mess of this, bear with me OK?

As a kid I used to 'Treklite'. A blanket with kilt pins to make it into a sleepsac, 6'*6'@0.3 green plastic for a tarp, a 9" sawblade, my Granfer's old army knife, an tin can with holes in as a stove, two smaller cans to cook and brew tea in and a school rucksack. I was 11 when I took myself along the Peak district in England alone.
I'd find a tree with a couple of straight-ish branches for the tarp poles and I'd cut dead wood along the way. I did have a leather sling, (not a slingshot) which I'm still good with. I got sick of rabbit and squirrel!
OK, England has no wolves, bears,etc. so I wasn't in danger, but I went with MY camping gear, the above. That kit served me for three years and served well.
Then I discovered girls!
Weird creatures 14 year old girls were, they didn't seem to enjoy tramping along looking for birds nests for the eggs or laying lines for fish. But they brought other diversions to light.

Lite is always best. The folks that are derogatory or derisive are missing the point. 'Real men' don't carry everything, Kalahari bushmen don't, do they? If I need the kitchen sink then I'll stay home!

H

PS pleased to meet you all (eventually)

Posted by: Haiwee

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 05/26/09 01:48 PM

I don't think I've ever had someone look down on me. I do get the "you're out here all by yourself?" comment a lot. I usually reply "I've got the dog to keep me company." People seem incredulous I would hike miles into a wilderness without a friend along to bail me out if I got into trouble.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 10/31/09 12:42 AM

A few years ago I and two friends were doing the East Face route on Mt Whitney. As we finished the last pitch, three strangers on the summit looked down upon us...
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 10/31/09 01:02 PM

Quote:
Have you ever looked down upon for being an ultralight devotee?

No, but I have for not being one. I have little or no super hi-tech gear or outer wear with logos branded on them and I always carry an old stick instead of "Trekking Poles". And lot's of times I wear denim jeans or overalls. But I have reasons for all that.

I wear the heavy denim when I know there is little or no chance of rain and I'll be bushwhacking where I know there will be lots of thorny bramble undergrowth in the forest. This is the case most of the time. I wear dollar store nylon zip-offs when it's not.

I use a stick instead of trekking poles because I like having one hand free and I hold the taller stick (staff) out in front of me to move branches and brush out of my way when bushwhacking and to help keep balance when making creek crossings on slippery rock.

I wear mid-hiking boots, not low-cut hiking shoes. Again, off trail I find that I don't get debris in my boots and do with low cut shoes.

All that said, more often than not when I encounter hikers on the trail that are outfitted to the nines with expensive logo emblazoned gear that looks like it's straight off the showroom floor they look at me with that, "Oh my God, here comes an ignorant hillbilly" and you can see the disdain in their eyes and demeanor gushing out of them.

For awhile, I returned the disdain and considered them "Posers" because they never go off the trails and they make a point to display their disdain for locals before ever saying or hearing a word from them.

After considering further, I now commend them for getting out and hiking. I suspect that we locals just don't look any hikers they've seen in "Backpacking" magazine and that probably scares them.

It's true that we locals can get to looking pretty ugly after even just a few days of bushwhacking around in the forests like we do. And I can't blame urbanites for being ignorant. They don't know the local culture and they've seen so many scary movies they can't help but associate us with axe murderers.

And I've had a few hillbillies come into my camp late at night a few times that were even uglier than me, and scarier looking too. And I can suppose that to an urbanite they might appear crazy. But all they ever wanted to do was share some liquor and tall tales.

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 10/31/09 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By billstephenson

After considering further, I now commend them for getting out and hiking. I suspect that we locals just don't look any hikers they've seen in "Backpacking" magazine and that probably scares them.

Nah, I'd say it's probably more hollywood that scares them.

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 10/31/09 05:48 PM

Quote:
Nah, I'd say it's probably more hollywood that scares them.

That classic old clip has kept our area, even though it's not about the Ozarks, from being overrun like Oregon and Washington with Californians more than anything else.

They just started coming here in `07-`08 and then the real estate bust hit.

I think they need to re-make that movie here on one of our float streams and use new crazed meth-headed hillbillies to fill in the standard old hillbilly parts smile

The timing would be good because we don't have many meth-heads anymore, but we still have the reputation for them. In truth they were never really scary though. They were all too scrawny to be much of a threat to anyone. But man, talk about ugly, they sure did fit that bill.

Posted by: JPete

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 10/31/09 06:50 PM

Couple of thoughts:

Never been looked down on that I know of. But funny response once. I was Northbound on the AT, very early on, when a guy with a German accent passed me southbound as I was taking a break. Just after passing, he looked back and asked "how far are you going?" I answered that I was hoping to make it to Main. "But dat ist a daypak!" We both laughed cause his wasn't much bigger. Mine was 40 liters, so not tiny. Turned out he was hiking with family, exchanging keys at noon most days. And as far as bumming things, a few weeks later one of my Aquamira bottles sprang a leak at a spot where I didn't trust the water and he purified for me. Still later, in New Hampshire, I was able to help one of his family. We all made it to Maine.

Bill Sephenson. You mentioned people seeing BLACK panthers in the Ozarks (another thread) I grew up in NW Arkansas, and we were used to the howling, and brought in the goats, but no one I ever met had actually seen one.

Also giggling about Californians coming in. When I was a kid, all cars had California license plates, cause the only way anybody could get cash money to buy a car was to go to California to work in the aircraft factories. Many stayed. Sounds like it's payback time.

Best, jcp
Posted by: aimless

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 11/01/09 02:23 PM

"But das ist a daypak!"

The first time I ever saw an ultralighter was in 2002. I was just coming out of a four night trip in the Wallowas, late in the day, carrying about a 35 lb. base weight in my external frame pack, when who should I see going up the trail but a guy in tights, carrying about a 25L pack. From the time of day and how he was hiking, I knew he was planning to stay out the night.

I am sure my eyebrows raised and I looked very surprised as he passed me and I said howdy to him. But I clearly recall thinking, "I sure as heck hope that guy knows what he's doing," because it had been below freezing each night I was out.

I also recall trying to figure out what his equipment must be like and deciding he was going to bivy for one night only, with the barest of bare necessities. By the next summer I had cut my own base weight by a dozen pounds and I understood a bit better where that guy was coming from. I still don't ultralight, though. My base is just around 18 lbs.

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 11/01/09 07:01 PM

At least in my case, for about 4-5 years I used for the most part a 30 litre MEC daybag as my extended weekend warrior pack. I wouldn't say I was ultralight, just decently lightweight. I usually only strapped my blue foam pad on the outside middle. I'd get some strange looks at the "daybag", especially when I was out for 4-5 days which was about the max I did with it.

Now I typically carry a GG virga - what I carry hasn't changed other than the blue pad is on the inside and everyting inside it. - which makes it look decently bigger enough that I don't get many more strange looks.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 11/02/09 01:19 PM

folkalist:

Quote:
One. . . friend didn't understand about cooking until I brought my cookset, Brunton Talon, and fuel into work and showed him how it works.

In today's world, you're lucky that with their naivete that they didn't mistake your isobutane cannister for a 'bomb', evacuate the building, put it under lockdown, bring in the mobile command unit, put snipers on nearby rooftops and shout at you to come out with your hands up. Your episode could have provided fodder to fill between at least a half-day's commercials on CNN. eek
Posted by: Spock

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 11/02/09 03:11 PM

Looked down on? No, but I've felt awfully bad about seeing grown men cry when they find out how light my pack is. I'm not joking. It's happened.
Posted by: JimmyTH

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 11/02/09 03:39 PM

I read Bill Stephenson's post about hiking hillbilly style and had to laugh. I'm much the same, have read all the stuff about how deadly cotton denim is and still wear it. Been through a lot of bad weather and cold snaps in it, sometimes dry and sometimes wet, in the mountains and elsewhere, and it hasn't killed me yet. At my age I think it's running out of time to do that. Also carry a real stick, not one of the fiberglass toys. I have a four foot light staff I take with me on runs, and a six foot staff for the trail. Just had an argument with a neighbor a few days ago when two of their dogs tried to take a chunk out of my heels while I was running past their property and I cracked one of them over the head to back it off. When I was a kid nobody ever went anywhere without firearms. I don't carry a rifle any longer but in the beginning out in the Cascades when I first backpacked for fun I felt very strange without one. Extreme culture shock. If I didn't have a stick and good knife with me I'd feel embarrassed.

I've been stared at a lot by people tricked out with all the newest gear. My stuff is old and cheap. I have some things that are pretty heavy compared to ultralight but I still like them, and my total rig usually isn't heavy. Sometimes I don't even take it.

Bill may know the trail from the microwave tower north of Ponca to Hemmed in Hollow on the Buffalo River. I hiked that in February one year during the two weeks of good weather you always get in the Ozarks that month, full moon that night and clear sky, no weather fronts coming in, seemed like a beautiful time to just take minimal gear and comfortable clothes and go see the falls. We hiked in during the afternoon and evening and it was perfect weather for that, shirt sleeves and jeans and a backup jacket was the extent of my cold weather gear. We kept ahead of a string of backpackers from Little Rock who were going at it like it was an arctic expedition, loaded down with gear for every situation, down jackets, heavy boots, and they really thought we were crazy, kept trying to rescue us and make us part of the expedition until we got to civilization. I tried to explain that this was civilization, that my neigbors used to live just down the road there before the government took it over. In the evening when we were thinking about heading home, sun just going down, they were setting up camp near Granny's Cabin and I thought I might have to fight my way out of there with the stick. Linda would have been ok, she was a lot prettier than me and two of the guy's were offering to share tents and sleeping bags for the night. I'd have had to sit by the fire where it was cold if they had tackled me and rescued me for my own good.

We finally shook them loose and had a beautiful moonlight walk home, didn't even need lights. I didn't feel like we were in any danger because I had a knife and firemaking tools, if we'd got stuck we'd have built a campfire and kept warm the old way up against one of the bluffs. One of the nicest hikes I've ever had. Wouldn't have done that if I hadn't lived in the Ozarks long enough to trust the February warm spell.

I do have wool pants for the arctic, much below freezing and the denim isn't quite so comfortable. But a lot of the modern hiking clothes just feel like underwear to me and I wouldn't have any of them.

JimmyTH
Posted by: frenchie

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 11/03/09 05:41 AM

I have not really been looked "down" upon, but with surprise and curiosity, and many kids had fun of what they considered" kid's, or toy tent". Curiosity and fun from my "toy stoves" too. Fascination from the wood stoves.
And the ever present question, "aren't you cold in that?" (I do most of my hiking in early or late season at home)
And sometimes, a serious concern about my "safety" as I had to "prove" I had all the necessary gear....
Posted by: bubbawadew

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 09/08/10 04:02 PM

I don't consider my self an "ultralight" backpacker, my 3 season base weight is 17lb 12oz. I have never been looked down upon because my gear was too light. I have been asked questions by non-backpackers how i can survive for 6 months with only the gear in my backpack. But there were two different times that i was looked down upon because my gear was too heavy. They were not nice at all about it but other than that never had a problem.
Posted by: frenchie

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 09/11/10 03:38 AM

A "funny" thing happened this spring, when i was using a tarp ( a"trailstar" clone...), in a campsite, a wood stove, polycree ground sheet, quilt, the lot.

My neighbours, who were car camping, offered me their igloo tent (massive thing), convinced I was a miserable homeless travelling hobo...

They were extremely confused, after I had to explain what "lightweight gear" can be grin grin...
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 09/15/10 03:52 PM

^My Hole LIFE^

The trick is to never look up to the look downers.
Posted by: ice

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 09/16/10 02:24 PM

well, hello to everyone,

this is my first post here in these forums and this topic made me chuckle a bit.
i was taking my oldest son canoeing in the BWCA the year he started kindergarten (was to become a tradition with my kids).
while at the landing outside ely, mn we unloaded our canoe and gear for our planned 21 day adventure. alongside us was a newly married couple (canoeing as honeymoon simply doesn't register with me), when the bride, attempting to take a bit of a breather from all the loading and unloading of their 2.......yes 2 canoes! asked the innocent question "where are you going and how long will you be out?" after my reply that we had planned a 130 mile trip and would be spending 21 days doing it, she literally rushed over to her new husband and screamed "they're going out for 21 days with that...pointing her finger at our canoe with 3 packs in it all tied and snug, and we're taking all this!"...arms sweeping toward their 2 canoes with numerous packs, coolers and everything else, including a portable sink, "for 4 days!" she was livid!
so i guess i may have been the one doing the "looking down upon" and it bothers me to this day to think that being self-sufficient yet lightweight may have started a new relationship down a rocky slope, as i was simply being practical as my son wouldn't be able to portage alot of extraneous "stuff".
we have great memories of that trip and many others we took because i didn't overdo it the first time. i wonder if they still camp....or canoe...or even TALK ?

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 09/16/10 05:11 PM

I can relate to that poor woman. A few years ago I invited my neighbor to go with me on a 3-day float on the Buffalo River in AR. I told him that I wanted us to each have our own canoes since I had never had the chance to use mine by myself. I was really looking forward to not having a heavy load and other people in my boat and dreamed of how nice it was going to be gliding almost effortlessly down the river.

I carefully selected and packed my gear to make sure my load was as light and small as possible. When we got there he had a truck full of gear and a huge cooler loaded with weeks worth of food and beer, that would not fit in his canoe, so, of course, he insisted I put it all in mine. After paddling that load for 28 miles I wanted to smack him in the rear with an oar, but I was just too darn worn out to make it sting mad
Posted by: GDeadphans

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 09/16/10 11:13 PM

I have never. In fact I have only heard encouragement and astonishment at the sacrifices and substitutes....most common *wow a stove out of cans!*

I honestly feel it is sad that when two people are in to the same thing there still has to be tension. When can we all just get along smile

B.S. I hope you had a lot of that beer and food for your effort smile
Posted by: MarkNM

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 09/17/10 01:56 PM

well i am only 5'7 hehe

i've had some remarks...about look at his ski poles haha, and ha i couldn't even get my leg in that tent and other stupid gear comments...they usually change their tune, when i literally blow by them on the ascents and they see me relaxing on the peak with a nice meal, all rested...or when i make and break camp in less than 15 minutes and have a cup of tea brewing...

i find the trick is to move/work a litte harder in the parking lot or trailhead/campsite and end up alone do to my pace(thanks to my lack of weight)

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 09/17/10 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By GDeadphans
B.S. I hope you had a lot of that beer and food for your effort

Yeah, I really shouldn't complain about my neighbor, and I should have really anticipated that giant cooler he brought. As much as I've tried to explain it, he just doesn't really care for the lightweight approach. But he does bring and cook some great food and always has lots of good beer so I figured out that I should just eat more, drink more, and be merrier when he's along...

So last year we took a little motor boat *UP* the Buffalo River and camped on a sandbar and did day hikes into the Leatherwood Wilderness. That worked out pretty good smile

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 09/17/10 06:06 PM

I carefully selected and packed my gear to make sure my load was as light and small as possible. When we got there he had a truck full of gear and a huge cooler loaded with weeks worth of food and beer, that would not fit in his canoe, so, of course, he insisted I put it all in mine. After paddling that load for 28 miles I wanted to smack him in the rear with an oar, but I was just too darn worn out to make it sting mad

Geez Bill - it would have been super easy to ensure your gear was tied to the canoe, flip the sucker like a tyro, and the river would have taken the problem away for you.. smile wink
Posted by: Alex Frost

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 02/19/11 08:13 AM

My current hiking buddy and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to hiking or backpacking. He seems to think that you should wear all your gear even if you're just hiking a few miles on a day trip. He also believes that heavier gear builds muscle and somehow makes you more manly.

So when I ditched my 1LB MSR stowaway pot and whisperlite for a supercat and a snowpeak 600 he gave me some grief. He seems to be coming around though, especially since I showed him plans for a fire bucket type windscreen/wood stove. Who knows, there may be hope for him yet.
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 02/19/11 08:53 AM

I just got back into backpacking last year after a 25 year hiatus! My gear was almost 20 pounds lighter than 25 years ago!
Most people I encountered were more interested in if I was a thru hiker. Some were very curious and amazed I was going into the back woods for 3 nights. One fellow about my age I am sure will be out there this year if he hasnt already. My wife was concerned for my health and saftey. I am not in tip top shape, However,going lighter makes it muck more enjoyable. I am even lighter this year with a two pound lighter down bag and soon a Hammock! It is nice to reach camp and not be totally spent!

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 02/20/11 12:10 PM

Quote:
He also believes that heavier gear builds muscle and somehow makes you more manly.

I'd tell him that's absolutely true, if he's carrying your beer and cast iron cookware smile

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 02/20/11 12:27 PM

Quote:
He also believes that heavier gear builds muscle and somehow makes you more manly.

I'd tell him that's absolutely true, if he's carrying your beer and cast iron cookware smile

If someone wants to be more manly than me and will carry beer, cast iron cookware and steaks for me to prove it, I'm so into that.. heck I'll hike with my usual gear and wear a dress just to encourage them if that's the case - as long as I get my beer and steak at night..

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 03/06/11 06:33 PM

Not so sure about the dress, it may give him the wrong impression. But a kilt, now that's fair game.
Posted by: intrek38

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 03/06/11 10:43 PM

Crazy how much a person misses out on with a 50 lb pack and a stubborn ego. If there to good for me I'll probably never see them again anyways..

Don't kilts weigh more??

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 03/20/11 03:20 AM

Yes, a kilt would weigh more. But I suppose an enterprising scott could make one out of silnylon that would work wonders and be water proof to boot.

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 03/20/11 10:06 AM

http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/diy/make-an-ultralight-waterproof-skirt.html

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 03/20/11 02:03 PM

no way.. all the cool ultralight kids have *cuben fibre* kilts..

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml

grin grin grin

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 03/21/11 10:35 AM

That's cool, but what about when the skeeters get in..
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Have you ever been looked down upon? - 04/07/11 12:59 AM

phat:

Disregard those ueber-light kilts the kids are wearing. Ned Beatty, in 1973, was already hiking a lot lighter in Deliverence: