Walking outdoors

Posted by: Ben_

Walking outdoors - 01/09/09 11:02 AM

"While people have searched high and low for ways to improve cognitive performance, from doping themselves with Red Bull to redesigning the layout of offices, it appears that few of these treatments are as effective as simply taking a walk in a natural place."

"How the City Hurts Your Brain" - Boston Globe, 1/2/09
Posted by: chaz

Re: Walking outdoors - 01/10/09 03:09 PM

The city can make you go stir that's for sure crazy, been there, done that. I'll also tell you that the Burbs aren't much better. frown Memphis is no LA. But being in the woods is what I use to recharge. I find myself spending more time in them since I started geocaching arount this area. The Ultimate for me is being able to do a road trip, hike in beautiful areas and camp. I think when it comes down to it, that's all there really is to it... wink
Posted by: JAK

Re: Walking outdoors - 01/10/09 03:49 PM

In many ways modern society is like sensory deprevation, followed by channeled brainwashing with print, radio, movies, television, and now the internet. We desperately need to get outside more in natural surroundings, really on a daily basis, not just a good hike or ski not and then though that is important also. Our children will likely have it even worse than us. An hour a day in a city park, or even a street with grass and trees, isn't a bad start at all really. Gardening is great, even a small garden on a balcony. The important thing is to get up and away from the television and computer screen and other electronic devices as much as possible. A good book ain't so bad, but we all need to get out more. Take the book to the woods, or the park, but leave the Nintendo DS and iPod at home. smile
Posted by: Brumfield

Re: Walking outdoors - 01/22/09 05:18 PM

Great study and comments. Please allow me to express my in depth explanation of why I prefer the forest to the city.. I prefer trees over skyscrapers, and squirrels over the nuts. Brum
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Walking outdoors - 01/23/09 05:23 PM

Brumfield, nice to see you back here; it has been a while.

All the above is why I will be hiking and backpacking as long as I can manage to put one foot in front of the other!
Posted by: sabre11004

Re: Walking outdoors - 01/23/09 08:10 PM

Hey Brum, great to see you back in the saddle, or back in here any way. Welcome back smile ...sabre11004...

The first step that you take will be of those that get you there !!!!
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: Walking outdoors - 01/26/09 11:11 AM

Glad to have you back Brum! Where have you been?

BF