TIP -- How To -- Use PHOTOS, GRAPHICS in your POST

Posted by: packlite

TIP -- How To -- Use PHOTOS, GRAPHICS in your POST - 01/14/09 01:38 PM

There are several ways to represent your graphics or photos here -- (credits to OregonMouse for the Banana Slug):

(1) post a web address at which you have a photo or graphic stored. This will open up a new window for the photo

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2717580992_5d64372531.jpg?v=0

(2) post the same web address only using the "link creator" located on the post composition menu bar.

Photo of BANANA SLUG

(3) post your photo inline (the actual photo within your message). There are several options. You can have photos "floating" or "non-floating". You've seen it - the photo will float on the left side of your text block or on the right or above or below and the text will wrap around it. Try it out. Non-floating is where the system will plop it precisely wherever you want it but the text will not wrap around it.

Please keep in mind that the link above works fine as a web link, but the system will not recognize it as an image unless you delete the superfluous characters at the end of the image suffix. The system is looking for .gif,.jpg,.txt,.png or similar. In other words, on the link above which ends with ".jpg?v=0" delete the "?v=0" which makes it ".jpg". So the address used above would look like the one below when using it to embed an inline image.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2717580992_5d64372531.jpg ?v=0

Just use the "Enter an Image" option located on the post composition menu bar, select float / no float and then enter the address of your photo or image.

This image is floating left and will stay there permanently as I type my trip report. The text will wrap around it.

kkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkk kkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkk kkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkk

This image is floating right and will stay there permanently as I type my trip report with text wrapping around it.

kkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkk kkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkk kkkkkkkk kkkk kkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkk kkkkk kkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkk

(4) You can also imbed a photo inline by uploading from your desktop using the "File Manager" tool listed under the post composition area. Click on "File Manager", locate the file on your desktop, add a small caption for the photo if you desire to do so and then "ADD IT".
Posted by: bbcg59

Re: TIP -- How To -- Use PHOTOS, GRAPHICS in your POST - 10/29/09 11:00 PM

yep
Posted by: DJ2

Re: TIP -- How To -- Use PHOTOS, GRAPHICS in your POST - 11/19/09 11:28 AM

I'm trying to learn how to post a picture using the "enter an image" button.

Unfortunatley the right hand text of the instructions in this post are obscured by the Who's Online column.

After pressing the "enter an image" button what do I enter? I tried copying a picture from my documents and pasting it but that doesn't work. Am I supposed to enter a link address?

Is there no way to simply attach a picture from my computer to a post directly?
Posted by: phat

Re: TIP -- How To -- Use PHOTOS, GRAPHICS in your POST - 11/22/09 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By DJ2
I'm trying to learn how to post a picture using the "enter an image" button.

Unfortunatley the right hand text of the instructions in this post are obscured by the Who's Online column.

After pressing the "enter an image" button what do I enter? I tried copying a picture from my documents and pasting it but that doesn't work. Am I supposed to enter a link address?

Is there no way to simply attach a picture from my computer to a post directly?

After "Enter and Image" you should see a pop-up that asks you to enter a URL for the image you wish to display.. I.E. you have to have the picture on some other web site.

If you want to just upload a picture - i.e. one that is only on your computer, and not on an external web site, look at the two special categories - "Trip Reports with Photos" and "Favorite Photos" - I have a post in there which describes how to upload pictures from your computer to those two areas - which will acccept them.

Pictures take a lot of room (hence space and cost) which is why we don't support uploading them to every single forum.

Posted by: bobito9

Re: TIP -- How To -- Use PHOTOS, GRAPHICS in your POST - 06/11/16 03:31 PM

I am trying to post photos inline with my text, rather than as a link, but am having problems. I tried posting the ones I had stored on my computer directly but the files were much too big for me to post and I don't understand how to compress them (I have a Google Chromebook)
Alternatively, I tried posting them from my cloud storage site, which is Google Photos. Posting a link seems to work ok for me, but not photos inline. I think I understand what you mean about taking the extra letters and numbers at the end of the link to make it end in (for eg) ".jpg" so that our website recognizes it as a photo, but my Google Photo links don't have that sort of ending, no "dot anything"
For eg:
https://goo.gl/photos/qsXDaQwkAECTu6KW7
I tried bracketing it with [img] and [/img] but that didn't make any difference
Posted by: bobito9

Re: TIP -- How To -- Use PHOTOS, GRAPHICS in your POST - 06/11/16 03:35 PM

I am thinking that maybe Google Photos just doesn't permit you to imbed actual photos, only links to photos or albums. Maybe I need another photo storage service.
Posted by: scratchtp

Re: TIP -- How To -- Use PHOTOS, GRAPHICS in your POST - 06/11/16 06:11 PM

I had some trouble as well with google and posting photos; I believe I ended up using photo bucket. Once you have uploaded a photo, you can click on it, and on the right side of the screen it has 4 options: Email, direct, HTML, and IMG. If you click on IMG, it automatically copies the text and you can paste it directly into your post and the photo will show up. That's the only thing that worked for me when I did a trip report recently.
Posted by: Jim M

Re: TIP -- How To -- Use PHOTOS, GRAPHICS in your POST - 05/17/22 07:08 PM

Ok, That's complicated, but let me see if I can do that. I often have had a drawing or pic I wanted to include in a post, but didn't know how. [img]https://ibb.co/dBGnp7H[/img]
Posted by: Arizona

Re: TIP -- How To -- Use PHOTOS, GRAPHICS in your POST - 05/18/22 02:28 PM

The easiest method I’ve found to embed an image so it shows up in the post here is to upload it to a site like Flickr and then copy the .jpg file. They have a way do do that and it includes the square brackets with the img but it is surrounded by other code that needs to be clipped. So a .jpg for sure or a .jpeg file might work too. Possibly.png may work. Various sites are different. That’s my experience but there may be other methods too.