Compact Camera

Posted by: ETSU Pride

Compact Camera - 02/05/14 04:58 PM

Anyone got any experience using a Samsung NX300? I been browsing compact cameras with removable lens for backpacking.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Compact Camera - 02/05/14 05:11 PM

One of my favorite photo bloggers loves it. You can read more here.

Kirk Tuck NX300 review

If mirrorless is where you'd like to go, I'll suggest a close look at the µ4/3 format. It has far and away the largest selection of lenses and bodies and you can put together a weatherproof system, if you should so desire.

Cheers,
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Compact Camera - 02/05/14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By Rick_D
One of my favorite photo bloggers loves it. You can read more here.

Kirk Tuck NX300 review

If mirrorless is where you'd like to go, I'll suggest a close look at the µ4/3 format. It has far and away the largest selection of lenses and bodies and you can put together a weatherproof system, if you should so desire.

Cheers,

Thank you so much. I can see how the lack of EVF be a huge deal breaker for me, since I plan to use this outdoors. I really just want shoot cool photos for fun while hiking and what not.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Compact Camera - 02/05/14 06:49 PM

Have two seasons now with the Oly E-M5 and must say, it's the bees's knees for backpacking. Compact, responsive, IBIS, EVF, weatherproof--pretty much everything I was waiting for. Image quality is actually better than my dslrs.

Cheers,
Posted by: ndsol

Re: Compact Camera - 02/09/14 12:28 AM

But for the same body weight, you can get a full-frame Sony a7, which has a sensor almost 4 times larger. In addition, a micro 4/3 has a 2x crop factor. That generally equates to an advantage to the full-frame for those shooting landscapes. I own neither as I am in the APS-C sensor camp, which has a 1.5x crop factor and a sensor that is about 64% larger than a micro 4/3. I am not a big fan of the 4:3 ratio; I prefer the 3:2 as it is closer to the golden ratio.
Posted by: wildnfree

Re: Compact Camera - 09/16/18 04:28 AM

Have used it and I changed to Canon EOS M5. It's lighter and the photo quality is much better.
Posted by: wgiles

Re: Compact Camera - 09/16/18 10:02 PM

I'm firmly in the 4/3 camp having switched from Canon to Olympus years ago. The smaller sensor only matters at very low f-stops when trying for selective focus. The mirrorless cameras will probably supersede the SLR's as the line between still photography and video blurs. I use both micro 4/3 and the original 4/3 cameras. The sensor size is the same, but the micro 4/3 cameras and lenses are smaller. A 35 - 100mm, f 2.8 lens would replace my old 70 - 210mm, f 2.8 35mm format monster. That was probably my all time favorite lens, but it was huge.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Compact Camera - 09/17/18 01:47 PM

Camera models have changed a lot in the 4 1/2 years since this thread started. Of course many of us still use cameras older than that, but those in the market for a replacement might want to investigate what is currently available!
Posted by: Matt Miller

Re: Compact Camera - 12/06/18 05:48 AM

My friend uses the Canon EOS M100 and loves it. I on the other hand am more of a DSLR guy though. Happy with by Nikon D3400