Olympus OM-D E-M5--why it's interesting

Posted by: Rick_D

Olympus OM-D E-M5--why it's interesting - 02/07/12 03:02 PM

Hi, i'm weatherproof

Supposed to be officially announced tonight. Leaked early specs have the body at 15 ounces with battery and card. While at present there are only a couple weatherproof µ4/3 lenses, there are more than a dozen 4/3 lenses that are, and a weatherproof conversion mount is supposed to be part of this release.

We'll know soon enough.

[edit: preview now posted at DP Review.]

EM-5 preview

Cheers,
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5--why it's interesting - 02/08/12 11:04 PM

Its size and the weather-sealed body are certainly interesting.

Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5--why it's interesting - 02/08/12 11:57 PM

Yup, it's really pretty small given the cameras I've seen it compared against. Can't wait to hold one and gauge how the controls fall to hand.

I have a weatherproof camera, but it's a cinderblock next to this one and relegated to day hikes only.

We're entering a kind of digital "golden age" when designers are deciding everything doesn't have to be either a bar of soap or a dslr.

Cheers,

Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5--why it's interesting - 05/25/12 12:48 PM

Resurrecting the thread to note I received mine (at last) after a multi-month stint on the waiting list. This could be the advanced backpacking camera (uh, that's advanced camera, not advanced backpacking) I've always imagined.

For an interchageable-lens camera it's tiny but has capabilities equal to most of its giant dslr rivals. And at least with the standard kit zoom, it's weatherproof. I just have to chase down some affordable spare batteries (since, of course, its battery is different from the drawerful of batteries I already own).

Cheers,