waterproofing for LowePro AW cover

Posted by: hafdome

waterproofing for LowePro AW cover - 07/21/11 10:18 PM

I want to improve the waterproofing on a LowePro AW camera backpack . I plan to use Seamseal on the seams. What would you recommend to spray on the cover itself? I plan on using this as a daypack for hiking and on long road bike rides/overnight touring so it will be exposed to sustained Oregon rain at times.

"N70D Triple RS with UTS Coating PU 800mm WR, P150D 2 Way Span, N140D 2 Way Span 235g/yd, P600D 74T PU 800mm WR - Kolon."

The above is the website description of the outer fabrics; I'm guessing the Kolon is the AW cover.

Posted by: Rick_D

Re: waterproofing for LowePro AW cover - 07/22/11 02:05 PM

Those look slick; I hadn't seen them before. Which model did you get?

Seam sealing the cover should be enough. "PU" coating in the specs is standard polyurethane waterproofing, with a water resistance measured at 800mm column of water. They'll also give it a DWR finish (the reason water beads up on the surface). I wouldn't mess with trying to add waterproofing to waterproof fabric--I'd imagine it wouldn't adhere and instead cause a mess. Maybe shower-test the thing after seam-sealing the cover?

If I understand the specs, Kolon at 600 denier is probably the tough outer pack fabric & perhaps the rain cover is the 70 denier triple ripstop?

Cheers,

Originally Posted By hafdome
I want to improve the waterproofing on a LowePro AW camera backpack . I plan to use Seamseal on the seams. What would you recommend to spray on the cover itself? I plan on using this as a daypack for hiking and on long road bike rides/overnight touring so it will be exposed to sustained Oregon rain at times.

"N70D Triple RS with UTS Coating PU 800mm WR, P150D 2 Way Span, N140D 2 Way Span 235g/yd, P600D 74T PU 800mm WR - Kolon."

The above is the website description of the outer fabrics; I'm guessing the Kolon is the AW cover.

Posted by: hafdome

Re: waterproofing for LowePro AW cover - 07/22/11 05:10 PM

Rick,
Thanks for the reply. I got the large in orange for visibility on the road. It holds my Canon Rebel with kit lens attached and a tele-zoom lens. There is also pocket space for filters, cards, etc. I think they came out this year or last year at the earliest. There seems to be plenty of space for day hiking type gear. I fit a 3 liter bladder easily; the specs say 2 liter. I plan on taking a day-hike on Mt. Hood and a long-ish bike ride somewhere this weekend so I can field test/play with my new toy. Gear review to follow.

I attached 2 shots of the material. I'm thinking you're right about the Kolon is the outer fabric. I also think that "WR" is resistant not proof. I could spray the body of the pack and have a two layer protection? And I could line the camera compartment with a plastic bag. Duh. Maybe that would work. I'm kind of paranoid about killing another camera with water.