Past August Trip into the Sawtooth Mountains

Posted by: MattnID

Past August Trip into the Sawtooth Mountains - 01/19/09 09:17 PM

So, the following are some pictures from an August trip into the Sawtooth Mountains here in Idaho. Probably one of the more scenic trips I've been on with all of the waterfalls, mountains and greenery even in August. Not to mention there was still some snow in the conveniently named Snowyside Pass at 9k feet in large portions here and there.

Pretty much just did an overnighter with 7 miles from the trailhead to the top of the pass and 7 miles down the other side of the pass to the trailhead. It really turned out to be one of those places I plan to go back and just walk in, set up a camp and see the many lakes, streams and peaks that dominate the place. Plus I'm hoping I get lucky and see some mountain goats that live in the range. The following pictures don't really even do the whole trip justice.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Past August Trip into the Sawtooth Mountains - 01/20/09 01:37 AM

Beautiful shots, Matt. In August that place truly looks like my idea of heaven.

In that last shot, looks like that conifer is a bit brown. Are they having the same infestation there that is hitting big chunks of Colorado pines?

Re: Past August Trip into the Sawtooth Mountains - 01/20/09 01:01 PM

I wouldn't rule it out, but truthfully I'm not sure. I haven't seen large numbers of trees like that however so if it is an infestation it isn't widespread as of yet. Usually from what I've seen, all the pines tend to be green except for the rare few here and there like in the photo.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Past August Trip into the Sawtooth Mountains - 01/20/09 02:05 PM

Very nice, with frame #3 downright spectacular. The snow in the foreground adds a nice dimension.

Cheers,

Re: Past August Trip into the Sawtooth Mountains - 01/21/09 09:41 PM

Haha, thanks, I was hoping the snow would provide a little perspective to the size of it all. Getting that picture, among others taken there, was probably 60% of the reason I chose that trip. While researching the area and where I wanted to go I saw some pictures that were taken at horrible times of the day or in no so cooperative weather as thunderstorms tend to pop up there when you least expect it.

So when I saw we were going to have beautiful weather when we got out there I knew that me and my Dad had to get up in the morning in time to get up the pass and get the scenery as the sun was coming up over the mountains. Timed it near perfect and that is one of 6 or so results, lol. The time of day really made the water's colors stand out. Needless to say I was quite happy.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Past August Trip into the Sawtooth Mountains - 01/22/09 10:19 AM

I love Idaho. Every couple of years I visit Hagerman Valley and Shelley. Most of my relatives are out there.

Thanx for the Sawtooth pics.

-Barry