first boat - Hornbeck 12

Posted by: PerryMK

first boat - Hornbeck 12 - 07/04/11 02:48 PM

I ordered my boat about a month ago and it arrived in time or the long weekend. I made a minor modification. The crossbeams by the center seat were about 12 inches apart. I can only imagine the gymnast it would take to maneuver into that. So I removed on crossbeam and inserted a replacement a little further apart.

I took it to a nearby lake to try it out on Sunday, and today (Monday) I drove down tot he Gulf so Ember could have her first ever boat ride.

Specs
12 feet
23 pounds
kevlar
solo or tandem
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: first boat - Hornbeck 12 - 08/31/11 03:51 PM

Cool boat Perry!

It looks to be beautifully made. The pooch looks happy too laugh

How did you like it? Does it ride like you wanted it too?

With a boat and rig like that, you might want to put the Buffalo River NP on your "ToGo" list. You could float for a few weeks and camp along the shore. There are some amazing sites to camp at too. Who knows, you might really like the Ozarks. There are some amazing places to canoe and backpack here. I think you'd love it, especially after reading about your goals for retiring. wink

Re: first boat - Hornbeck 12 - 08/31/11 06:07 PM

I've only taken the canoe out a couple of times but I enjoyed it quite well. I suspect I'll like it even more when the weather cools a bit. 100+ degree days don't inspire me to spend time with the sun reflecting and coming at me from multiple angles.

It rides pretty much as I expected it to, but I don't have a lot of experience for comparison. I really liked how light it is when I had to car top it after paddling; the shoulders were a bit worn already (smile).

That center crossbeam I learned was to be removed. The funky U pieces are for carrying it on the shoulders. Apparently there is an option to mount it to an external frame pack also. Its light enough (23lbs) that carrying it like a suitcase for short distances is no problem.

When I was a field chemist many years ago I was assigned to a lab outside St. Louis twice for a few months each time. I was surprised how much I liked it there. I've thought about other locations, and also about staying put. My present location, Alabama, and Alaska still top the list. But retirement is (hopefully) 9 years away and things could change.
Posted by: Ewker

Re: first boat - Hornbeck 12 - 09/01/11 09:16 AM

nice looking boat. I esp like how little it weighs for the length. My 10' kayaks weigh a lot more.
Posted by: Paulo

Re: first boat - Hornbeck 12 - 09/01/11 10:02 AM

Very nice, Do you have a site where you bought it from?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: first boat - Hornbeck 12 - 09/01/11 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By Paulo
Very nice, Do you have a site where you bought it from?

Hornbeck Boats