Comments on Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er???

Posted by: Dryfly

Comments on Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er??? - 03/06/13 04:57 PM

I have a chance to get one in amazing condition, less than a year old, for an amazing price (from a good friend...). I have not spent timeon trails using anything with wheels this big. The bike fits me well, I am just curious what people's experience has been with transitioning to larger wheels.
I do a lot of single track riding in the woods of east Texas and out in the hill country. Nothing too technical.
Posted by: Banjopickin

Re: Comments on Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er??? - 03/06/13 08:11 PM

29'ers typically climb better and handle small bumps better. They track better over rough terrain due to the larger wheel. However, they dont corner as easily and are a little more cumbersome than 26" wheels. I have several bikes both 26" and 29". I like each for different reasons. If you just riding singletrack cross country and not riding downhill or freeriding, 29'ers are a good choice.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Comments on Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er??? - 03/07/13 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By Dryfly
I have a chance to get one in amazing condition, less than a year old, for an amazing price (from a good friend...). I have not spent timeon trails using anything with wheels this big. The bike fits me well, I am just curious what people's experience has been with transitioning to larger wheels.
I do a lot of single track riding in the woods of east Texas and out in the hill country. Nothing too technical.

I know about 4 people off top of my head that has a 29ner, they love it!! The guy that runs the local bike shop here says it takes one and half extra rotation on the pedal to regain cadence compared to a 26in. I wish I could tell you more but I haven't rode one, yet. If the bike fits you, then go for it! Base on the raving reviews it gets, I may end up building a 29ner one day instead rebuilding my current bike, but I'm looking hard at a 650. (27.5 inch wheels) It will be awhile before I start building one.
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Comments on Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er??? - 03/16/13 01:36 PM

Once you ride a 29er you'll never want to go back. That was my experience. And I've been riding mountain bikes since they were invented.