Camp Stove

Posted by: floutdoors

Camp Stove - 07/09/08 05:19 AM

I was hoping for a suggestion for overnight or two trips. I am wanting to get a small camp stove for occasional weekend trips in Florida and Georgia. Walmart had one that took coleman fuel and one that took propane canisters. Just wanting to boil water etc. No fancy cooking.

Thanks
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Camp Stove - 07/09/08 05:56 AM

The small stoves that use a small propane or propane/butane mix are easy, quick to set up and take down. Get one that uses the tiny canister, may only hold four to eight oz. of fuel. Don't go for the full size Coleman propane canister that is a little smaller than a qt. beer or soda bottle, that weighs too much.

Re: Camp Stove - 07/09/08 06:46 AM

Thanks, thats good info. Just what I was looking for.
Posted by: phat

Re: Camp Stove - 07/09/08 07:23 AM

If you want specific suggestions, find an outdoor store near you that will sell you
an MSR "pocket rocket", or a Snow Peak "Gigapower" or a Brunton "crux"
Posted by: TomD

Re: Camp Stove - 07/09/08 04:03 PM

Click on the "Portal" multicolor link at the top of the page-that will take you to the online sponsors. Look at the Backcountrygear.com site and you will see a number of stoves. REI and the others have them as well. Look at their sites too. Several of the small canister stoves sell for under $50.

If you have to mail order a stove, REI is a good choice-it can be returned if you have any problems. I have a Primus Micron, but there are others just as good, if not better. I use the small SnowPeak canister with mine and it all fits into a Primus pot. Canister stoves with the Lindal (screw-on) valve will use different brands of canisters as long as they are threaded. Some GAZ stoves use a different canister design, so make sure you get canisters that match the stove you buy.

Re: Camp Stove - 07/10/08 04:39 AM

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.
Posted by: crazyone

Re: Camp Stove - 07/11/08 01:17 PM

I bought a msr pocketrocket and it works well for just boiling water and I had no problem with the flame or burn time. I am still working on my first canister. quick and easy set up. just make sure the stove is stable before placing the pan on top. personal experience