Dumb mistake.

Posted by: 12Step

Dumb mistake. - 07/06/08 07:28 PM

I threw away $120.00 on a pair of hiking boots with too little of tread on the bottom. They are a pair of Asolo's. There Vibram soles. I have on a pair of Merrels and work well witn nice knobby soles that are Vibram soles but they are low cut and don't hike with them on all day hikes. I prefer ankle support.

I should of paid more attention to the soles of these boots (Asolos). Even side stepping, my butt met the dirt and rock far more than I would of prefered. Some of the situatons could of been dangerous.

Money burned = lessons learned.

Tom
Posted by: TomD

Re: Dumb mistake. - 07/07/08 12:04 PM

I have two pair of Asolos-an old pair of full leather boots-mid 80's vintage and a newer pair-FS 95s. My old pair worked well in all conditions and I can recall only falling once with them crossing a river, but that I don't blame on the boots, just the terrain.
My new ones haven't gotten the same use, but seem fine to me.

I would be curious to know which model boot you have.

Also, where did you get them? If it was REI, they will take them back, no questions asked.
Posted by: 12Step

Re: Dumb mistake. - 07/07/08 03:00 PM

The Asolo's are Voyagers XCR's. Again a good boot other than not having enough tread. There were quite a few times I needed to use my trekking pole to keep me from falling when climbing up or down.

I remember talking to another about hiking boots, and mentioned what kind I hiked with. He also made the comments that he liked the boots just not the fact they had a lacking of tread. I didn't give it much thought until last week when I kept losing my footing.

Tom

Tom
Posted by: TomD

Re: Dumb mistake. - 07/07/08 11:33 PM

I'm not familar with that particular boot. I would try returning them to wherever you got them. Vibram soles are usually pretty agressive soles from what I have seen. I am a bit surprised you are having a problem, but I suppose the tread designs vary depending on the boot's intended purpose.