Excellent article on backcountry navigation

Posted by: OregonMouse

Excellent article on backcountry navigation - 09/16/17 11:31 AM

I was rather surprised to find this article in one of our largest metropolitan area newspapers: Why it's a real mistake to rely on a cell phone when you go hiking. I read the Washington Post site for political news, but this article isn't political!

It's basically on the vital importance of paper maps and learning to read and orient yourself to them.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation - 09/16/17 09:13 PM

Nice. And in winter time, there is nothing like a good map to get the imagination going!
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation - 09/16/17 10:23 PM

Can't agree more!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation - 09/16/17 11:09 PM

I've never made the switch to GPS - I like maps and compass.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation - 09/19/17 08:10 AM

IF I carry any electronics at all it will be an iphone and it doesn't get turned on unless I really need it. Paper maps are easy to print and don't run out of batteries, nor does a compass.
My compass has even been scaled back to just a tiny little neck worn thing, used to orient the map.
I will sometimes crank up the phone to see if there are any interesting features nearby, but rarely to navigate.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation - 09/19/17 03:56 PM

I agree with the importance of using (and knowing how to use) a map and compass. That said, I still bring an InReach on every backpacking trip, for a few reasons.

-- If I get truly lost, since I always have tracking on, I can follow 'breadcrumbs' backward to help 'find' myself.

-- If I get severely injured, I can not only call for help, but communicate with rescuers what kind of injury I have, how bad the injury is, whether they need to move fast or can take their time, etc.

-- Family members really enjoy following along via the website as I hike.
Posted by: bob13bob

Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation - 09/25/17 06:31 PM

totally disagree. you should have a paper topographical trail map (and know how to read it), and google maps saved offline map with topographical mode on. The chance of someone getting themselves in trouble using a compass incorrectly is much higher than electronic device giving out. If the paper map is useless, then bring two electronic devices.

Neither are going to have warning for overflooded rivers. But I rather have gps digital map to off-trail out then a compass. I've had to do it before.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation - 09/27/17 03:53 PM

Quote:
But I rather have gps digital map to off-trail out then a compass. I've had to do it before.

Depends on the topography. Here in the Ozarks a topo map and compass are as good or better than a GPS if you know how to use them.

I can read a topo and compare that to the distant ridges or course of a hollow or creek and pinpoint myself almost immediately and they don't need batteries.

I have been in some pancake flat spots though with no distinctive landmarks where that wouldn't work so good. Either way I'd bring both and spare batteries.
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation - 09/29/17 12:07 PM

Here in Michigan woods it is easy to get off track even with a map and compass. In many areas you cannot see more than 500 ft and marked trails change directions frequently so even if you know what direction the trail is headed now it will more than likely be headed in a different direction a few minutes from now. Often even 180°. There are many two track roads which are not shown on any map because they were just made to get to someones hunting camp. Frequently you do not know exactly where you are until you get to a major land mark like a main road, river, lake etc. Knowing how long you have been walking is not a good indication of where you are due to the winding nature of the trail. A mile of walking may only be 1/2 mile away from the last know point. The map helps if the trail is shown on the map but if it is not shown on the map you have to wait until you get to some landmark.
Posted by: TwodoGz

Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation - 10/11/17 12:55 PM

IF.......you have signal. If not, I guess you can listen to your music til the batteries die.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation - 10/29/17 03:12 AM

I've heard that about up there. I've never been to Michigan but I've been to places that have all pine forests and thought about how it appeared so much the same wherever you looked and how it must be easy to get lost in those.