Winter hydration

Posted by: mtbdemon

Winter hydration - 01/16/17 01:11 PM

Newbie question, but I continue to struggle with winter hydration. I have a Osprey backpack with a built in bladder with insulation around the hose. I was snow shoeing in 14 degree weather and the hose would freeze up.
What is the trick to winter hydration? A bottle held close to your body? If so, is it not a pain to unzip to get to the bottle? Thanks for all the help!!

Ken
Posted by: DavyGTN

Re: Winter hydration - 01/17/17 05:03 PM

Maybe try getting a Camelbak brand hose insulation. I have no experience with Osprey. Perhaps the Camelbak will insulate better. I don't do a whole lot of cold weather backpacking but I don't have any hose insulation and it usually doesn't freeze solid so long as I keep drinking regularly even below 14. Another trick you could try is to add Gatorade powder to your bladder. It contains sugar and salt which will both lower the freezing point of water some. Also, start the day by putting a couple cups of hot water in the bladder and that will help it last much longer before freezing.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Winter hydration - 01/17/17 09:50 PM

If you ditch the tube, use an insulating jacket for your bottle, and start with warm or even hot water, you shouldn't have too many freezing problems.

This Seattle-area forum has some interesting ideas, not all of them feasible, but some amusing. Freezing bottles have been a problem here, where temps have been below freezing, often down in the teens, for weeks.