Want to recycle alot of excellent goose down

Posted by: Ambisonx

Want to recycle alot of excellent goose down - 12/19/16 09:32 PM

Nearly 40 years ago, I purchased a Trailwise (Berkeley, Ca) sleeping bag with 10 inches of loft (As I recall, it was approximately $300, alot of money in those days). After a successful ascent of Denali, I have been using it as a comforter ever since. The baffles have deteriorated over the many years, but the prime goose down still keeps the heat in! What is the life-span of down? Is there a way to repurpose the down? Seems a pity to throw it in the trash. I live in the Bay Area and would be delighted to pay someone to fabricate a his and hers down vest!
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Want to recycle alot of excellent goose down - 12/20/16 09:36 AM

Welcome to the group!
I'm convinced down lasts forever. grin My first, and still favorite down bag was bought over thirty years ago and is still my go to three season bag. Re-tasking down is easy and economical. Maybe you would be interested in a new quilt project?
That thing would make 20 down vests!

Re: Want to recycle alot of excellent goose down - 12/22/16 08:23 PM

You know anyone who does this kind of re-purposing? This goose down has kept me warm most of my life, and like a loyal friend, I want to keep it around me!
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Want to recycle alot of excellent goose down - 12/22/16 09:10 PM

I sew my own things like that sometimes. If you sew, there are patterns available to make your own gear. I'm a down/wool guy myself.
I don't know anyone your way but maybe someone will chime in.

Re: Want to recycle alot of excellent goose down - 01/20/17 07:00 PM

No, I cannot sew. I would go to a seamstress/tailor, but I think one would need specialize knowledge to know how to handle goose down. Are there persons in this country who specialize in this sort of repurposing? I figured this was a good site to find out.
Posted by: the-gr8t-waldo

Re: Want to recycle alot of excellent goose down - 01/21/17 01:22 PM

I seriously doubt it....from my reading, it seems that this is done by diy'ers. And I can understand why....harvesting and handling the down is one serious pita. This is not to say there isn't a seamstress that'll take on the project, but the resulting price will probably be much more than the equivalent finished price from one of the big name manufactures. I 've used bulk down and and found it one huge pain. And the savings were just " oh hum"
Posted by: BZH

Re: Want to recycle alot of excellent goose down - 01/23/17 06:46 PM

I agree with Waldo. Any savings would disappear in trying to handle loose down. You could talk to GooseFeet Gear or Enlightened Equipment to see what they would say. In general they handle requests for customized work with down, but I've never heard of them reusing down. As far as I know it is not worth it except for DIYers.