Late night tea in bear country

Posted by: Coloray13

Late night tea in bear country - 09/22/16 11:29 PM

I am planning on hiking the Teton Crest Trail in summer and wanted to know if it is safe to steep/make some tea at night before bed; after the kitchen and food has been put away. It would be great to put the hot water bottle in my sleeping bag as a warmer; then I can drink the tea in the morning (I prefer cold tea). Not sure if the bears would smell it and especially don't want the smell coming from between my legs!

Also, what is the protocol for drinking tea at night?

Thanks!
Posted by: BZH

Re: Late night tea in bear country - 09/23/16 12:57 PM

The official position is that all smellables should be protected, so you certainly run the risk of getting a fine. That said I would be shocked if a bear considered plain tea in a water bottle food. However since you are dealing with brown bears, I'm not sure it is worth the risk.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Late night tea in bear country - 09/23/16 01:38 PM

Do consider tea's effect on the kidneys/bladder--it's a mild diuretic--which may force you to crawl out of the warm sleeping bag in the middle of the night when you might otherwise not have to! (For me, who has to get up a couple of times anyway, it would mean a couple more extra trips!)

As for bears, I definitely wouldn't risk it, especially where there are grizzlies, and in a national park where the bears have lost their fear of man. Never mind the fine; do you really want a grizz coming into your tent in the middle of the night?

And what are you going to do with the tea bag (or tea leaves), which definitely should be in your garbage inside the bear canister?
Posted by: Coloray13

Re: Late night tea in bear country - 09/23/16 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

And what are you going to do with the tea bag (or tea leaves)?

I would leave it in the bottle until morning, then put the bag in the trashbag with the food.

I wasn't aware of fines for eating/drinking? What is this all about?

Thanks for the input.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Late night tea in bear country - 09/26/16 01:09 PM

In bear country you are required by law to prevent bears from obtaining human food:

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/bearsafety.htm

You can get a fine for not properly protecting your food/drink.