Planning linville Gorge

Posted by: matt9

Planning linville Gorge - 09/07/16 09:27 PM

Its been a long time since I've backpacked and I want to get back into it. Where is the best place to print trail topo maps of the gorge? thanks
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Planning linville Gorge - 09/07/16 10:50 PM

Welcome! We have several members from that area who, I hope, will come on and answer specific questions. In the meantime, despite its name, caltopo.com is a nationwide source for topographic maps and might be a good place to start. Being a West Coaster, though, I haven't investigated its eastern US maps.

And, of course, a weekend trip close to home might be a good way to get back into backpacking more gradually.
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Planning linville Gorge - 09/08/16 12:23 AM

www.Caltopo.com. Its free and you can edit the map before you print it. I have never hiked it. I kayaked it though 15 years ago
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Planning linville Gorge - 10/03/16 08:37 PM

Hi,

I recommend getting a map from here Linville Gorge as well as using those guys for all your Linville needs.

Honestly, I hate to damping your spirit, but I wouldn't go to Linville Gorge for my first time backpacking... Especially if you're not in top physical condition, because that place is seriously rugged! If you still insist, then i recommend doing a one and out instead of trying to backpacking the entire Gorge. Something like hiking a couple miles to Tablerock and back to the car. Or hike to Babel Tower and camp nearby then backtrack to the car. Those should be manageable. It's a navigational nightmare in that place, it's so bad that the National Geographic map is useless unless you need a fan...I can imagine some of the other maps are just as bad. I strongly recommend the resources from the link above before venturing into this place in addition to being in great shape!

it has been a few years since i've been there..looking forward to going back!