Risks of having too long of a sleeping bag?

Posted by: BriDoe

Risks of having too long of a sleeping bag? - 09/04/16 02:51 PM

Hi all, I was hoping to get your advice on a situation. There's a fantastically priced sleeping bag for sale, but it's too long for me. Should I get it anyway?
Bag: Montbell spiral hugger #1 15 degree bag, 800 fill down, 2.2 lbs
MSRP: $439.. someone's selling one for $145

That said, I am 5'4" and this bag is for up to someone 6'3"

I don't mind the extra weight since I wouldn't be able to afford a comparable bag that's at an appropriate length.
There's nothing else about this bag that I feel I'd be compromising on.. it's got everything else I'm looking for in a bag.
I'd also like to add that I'm a woman, since we generally do run a little colder.

Would the extra space be too much? We're talking about almost a foot here of difference...
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Risks of having too long of a sleeping bag? - 09/04/16 03:35 PM

The solution used for children in an adult sleeping bag is to tie a string around the bottom to reduce the dead air space. If you don't mind the extra weight and bulk, this is a possibility.

This is undoubtedly a well-used bag, so you need to find out the condition before buying! A careful laundering (follow the directions on the Western Mountaineering site) will often restore the loft, but not if the shell has gotten holes and therefore lost a lot of down.

As for warmth, check the EN13537 ratings, which you should find online on the Montbell site, if not for this model bag at least for comparable models. As a woman/cold sleeper, you need to know the comfort rating, which will be a lot different than the advertised rating, perhaps as much as 10 degrees different (25*F instead of 15).
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Risks of having too long of a sleeping bag? - 09/04/16 05:22 PM

I'm not sure there are any "risks" to buying a too-long bag (other than the economic risks Mouse pointed out: $145 for a good bag that's shot is not money well-spent.) That is, if the bag is in good condition, and you're aware that you probably can't push it to its EN limits any more, you wouldn't freeze in it. You'd carry more weight than absolutely necessary (unnecessary weight is not fatal, despite what you read from some people here, including me.) You will spend more energy warming it up, unless you do as Mouse says and fold it under or tie it off (or find someone who can shorten it for you.)

But, if the price is right, the condition is good, and you don't mind not having the latest, greatest, lightest - and most expensive - bag out there, it sounds like it would work.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Risks of having too long of a sleeping bag? - 09/04/16 05:51 PM

I got curious (I'm stuck home with a code in the doze, fortunately not communicable via the internet laugh ) and looked up the current Montbell down hugger #1.

The EN comfort rating (the one you want to focus on) of the new bag I looked up is 24*F, which is probably fairly similar to the bag you are looking at unless it has lost down over its years. It of course may not be exactly the same model as the one I looked up. If the bag is in good condition (which, frankly, I'd question given the price), I'd rate it in the mid to upper 20's F.

Re: Risks of having too long of a sleeping bag? - 09/04/16 06:15 PM

Thank you for taking the time to research and answer my question! I will definitely find out if the bag has lost down. There was mention of repairing some seams, so I will make sure to get those details.

Tieing off the bottom is brilliant! If it's still good quality, I am going to buy the thing smile

Thank you!

Re: Risks of having too long of a sleeping bag? - 09/04/16 06:16 PM

Thank you for your help with this big decision!