jacket

Posted by: Moose74

jacket - 11/02/15 12:51 AM

I am strong hiker with excellent scrambling skills. Been going out for close to 6 years now. But the I hear the call of overnight, multi-day backpacking trips.

Being out in the mountains for days sounds great. I have no gear as of now but won't be going anywhere until next summer.

I want to try the Rockwall Trail in BC, Canada.
http://www.summitpost.org/the-rockwall-trail/761989

Down the road I want to thru hike the Colorado Trail.

When hiking (or any strenuous activity) I get pretty hot and sweat ALOT. Looks like my head was dunked in a pool of water. Even when it's a bit cool I am in a short sleeve shirt, when moving that is. When I stop I cool down thanks to all the sweat.

What would be a good 3 season jacket for me? Type, material, brand name (links welcomed)

Or should I just take a very light one and layer? (seperate rain coat of course) I have an old MEC jacket I use. It's very light with a hood.

thanks in advance
Posted by: OttoStover

Re: jacket - 11/02/15 04:08 AM

What is important is the first layer closest to the body. On top of that take a wind stopper with good ability to ventilate the armpits. Lots of brands and models.
After many trials and errors I have now Brynje Super Thermo as a first layer.This is a polypropylene mesh, keeps you cool and also warm. Wicks away the moisture and is virtually everlasting. Expensive but worth every penny IMHO.
Posted by: Outcasthiker

Re: jacket - 11/17/15 03:06 PM

Layers is the answer. Also as a heavy sweater, fleece is a good choice. Pick a quick dry shirt, pull on a good breathing fleece when you stop. I carry a wind breaker too, very light, just to stop wind while resting if wind is very strong. Also in really cold weather over fleece if needed during breaks. If you need a lightweight break for snow or rain use a poncho. Breaths very well. I cannot use rain gear pants or shirts due to sweating.