NEW ? Please fill out your profile!

Posted by: OregonMouse

NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 06/22/15 01:28 PM

To our new members: We would greatly appreciate your filling in your profile, to at least some degree, especially if you're asking questions. We are unable to help you if we don't know your location (state/province is fine, we don't need your address!) and where you generally backpack.

Thank you very much for helping us to help you!
Posted by: noishiker

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 03/03/16 05:38 PM

Hey everybody! Glad to be here. Looks like a valuable website.
Our family of 3 moved to Vancouver Island about 7 years ago; previously we were in south-west Ontario, London area. Not a great deal of experience hiking, camping etc. but interested in doing much much more now that I'm (supposedly) retired. Really keen to learn about others' experiences & gain from their hard-earned wisdom thru trial & error. Planning on doing a very long hike in Europe in the next few years.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 03/03/16 08:13 PM

Welcome; we're glad to have you.

However, to reiterate: PLEASE fill out your profile. What you said in your post was great - very informative and complete - and totally unavailable to the person responding to questions you post anywhere but this thread, since they don't know you've included it as a response to this post.

You can put nearly all of that somewhere in your profile, which people can access by clicking on your name any time you post. To get to your profile, click on My Stuff in the toolbar above, and select Edit Profile.

Thanks, and welcome again.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 03/04/16 01:18 PM

Quote:
"Planning on doing a very long hike in Europe in the next few years."

I've greatly enjoyed the bits of hiking that I've done in Europe. Have you a specific trip, trail, itinerary in mind? My wife enjoys biking more, so our next European trip will be a bike vacation, but I hope to get back someday and do some more extensive hiking.
Posted by: Slate

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/01/18 11:30 AM

Hello folks. I am new here and just saying hello to all. I day hike mostly in Pennsylvania, but also in New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, etc. It looks like a great website and I am looking forward to participating!

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/01/18 02:33 PM

Hi, and welcome! Thanks for filling out your resume. I hike next door, in Ohio and Kentucky, mostly. I’m looking forward to investigating Pennsylvania one of these days. Now that you’re here, why not post a couple of trip reports on your favorite spots? We don’t get a lot of input about PA.
Posted by: Slate

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/01/18 03:11 PM

Thanks Glenn! I’ll post a few PA trip reports. When I was younger, I backpacked a lot, but now I just day hike if that’s okay to report on. Some of my hikes are to fly fish a particular mountain stream, but I hike for the sake of hiking a lot as well. I’ll post some of those hikes. I mainly walk the north central region of PA.
Thanks again for the welcome!

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/01/18 06:54 PM

I think it would be totally appropriate to post those hikes - after all, backpacking is just a series of day hikes except you don’t go home at night. There’s nothing wrong with those “old days” backpack trip stories, either. The technology has changed, but it’s still all about eating and sleeping outdoors while you’re waiting to hike tomorrow!
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/02/18 03:37 AM

Welcome Slate. Ah, PA. I've done a fair bit of backpacking there - did the STS in three days on a lark, always enjoyed the Black Forest Trail, it was my favorite. Also liked the Allegheny Front Trail and the Quehanna Trail. Good times back there.

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/02/18 11:39 PM

Please note that responding to this post doesn't do anything for you (see Glenn's answer above). Instead, click "My Stuff" in the bar above, pick "Edit profile," and put your info there. Part of the info (like your location) will show in the bar at the left of your message. Members wanting to respond to your queries can click on your name and see what you've put there that might be pertinent to whatever advice we give.

We do love trip reports!

Thank you!

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/03/18 03:28 AM

"We do love trip reports!"

I posted a trip report nearly two years ago. Not a single comment/reply/etc., though it's been viewed over 8,000 times according to the site software (Even - 'this was a lousy trip report!' would have been better than nothing). Haven't bothered to post another since then, didn't see the point.

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/03/18 01:05 PM

I would think the number of views would count more! Not all of us have the time to comment on each report. But if you got that many views, your time wasn't wasted!
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/03/18 01:17 PM

It's a long tradition on these boards. Everyone wants more TRs, but very few people comment on them.

Note to members:if you want more Trip Reports, comment effusivelton those that get posted.

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/03/18 11:19 PM

"Note to members:if you want more Trip Reports, comment effusivelton those that get posted"

I don't need effusiveness... :-) But I'm human, feedback in one form or another is what spurs most humans on.

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/05/18 03:12 PM

I've been a member of this board for 12 years, was a moderator for about 5 of those years, and never knew before that there was another trip report section under Photography! I just found it because Glenn made a post there.

I do read, and usually comment on, the reports in the Trip Plans, Reports and Inquiries section, where most of us expect to find such posts.

I've ignored the Photography section all these years since I stopped using a third party image site because it was no longer free. (I don't think any of them are free any more.)

If you've been posting trip reports in the Photography section, that probably explains why they've been ignored. I promise to check that section from now on, and help get the word out!

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/06/18 12:33 AM

The only reason I posted my trip report there is because you can include photos directly, without having to use a photo storage/sharing site link. I don't subscribe to any photo storage/sharing sites any more, and I don't have my own blog/website I can link to.

But, again, I was simply making an observation, not trying to whine.

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/06/18 04:43 PM

We all realize that you weren’t whining - but you really didn’t think that would stop us from having a little fun, did you? smile

Besides, you did make a good point, and one that could apply to most of the other forums: if we read a post we find interesting, we should acknowledge the poster, not just run up the views.

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 07/06/18 07:55 PM

And we should be looking for trip reports in Photography, too!
Posted by: GulfCoast

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 02/21/20 03:04 PM

Thanks for the ad! Profile filled out to the extent possible. Aloha! smile
Posted by: Dadof2

Re: NEW ? Please fill out your profile! - 02/16/21 03:57 PM

Hi there! Just getting into backpacking with my sons. Looking fwd to our first multi night trip. Trying to figure out what sleep system I like the nest. Tent or hammock.

Columbia, South Carolina