First backpacking trip at big sur-sykes hot spring

Posted by: lily

First backpacking trip at big sur-sykes hot spring - 03/26/15 09:26 PM

I finished my first backpacking at big sur-sykes hot spring by myself. I am so happy I did it. Before I start my trip,I was nervous,because I don't have any backapcking experience,I only did car camping once. I thought I can finished this 20miles round trip in two days.
The fact was It become 2night 3days trip. After I carried 26pounds of backpack,I walked really really slow. The first night was scare me,because I camp alone. I never slept in the nature by myself. But after saw a lot of stars in the sky,I felt better and better. The hot spring was very nice there,enjoyed it a lot.
I think except those blisters bother me,my first trip was good.
After I came back,I can not stop to think where I should go for my next trip during my summer break. Can not wait to do it again. grin
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: First backpacking trip at big sur-sykes hot spring - 03/26/15 09:55 PM

Glad you had a good time!

It's a good idea to do your camping fairly close to the car for a while so you can bail out if things go wrong. You might want to practice in bad weather, although in your part of the country it's getting a bit late for that--maybe next fall?. Learning to cope with rain and wind and stay dry is part of the fun!

Re: First backpacking trip at big sur-sykes hot spring - 03/26/15 10:06 PM

Thank you Oregonmouse,Sounds good ideas. I believe my first trip is just a start,I will do it again and again. I love to experience all different situations in my future trip.
Posted by: the-gr8t-waldo

Re: First backpacking trip at big sur-sykes hot spring - 04/02/15 03:14 PM

Glad to hear you enjoyed, and it sounds like you picked a wonderful trail.
Posted by: alph2294

Re: First backpacking trip at big sur-sykes hot spring - 09/14/15 04:06 PM

I am also a beginner backpacker (although lots of dayhikes under my belt). I am just wondering what would make this trail such a good start. Sounds like you had a great experience!!

Re: First backpacking trip at big sur-sykes hot spring - 11/24/15 02:53 AM

because i don't have backpacking experience before and i don't know how to navigation. i found big sur-sykes hot spring have a very detail trail information online.
and hot spring is out there.
Posted by: Boomstix

Re: First backpacking trip at big sur-sykes hot spring - 04/11/16 02:56 AM

Sounds like you had a great first trip Lily! Those extra lbs quickly add up and can make for an uncomfortable hike sometimes. Do you think everything you took was necessary? Or Maybe things you should have taken with you? Im starting to take longer hikes and working towards a 37mile one later this year. I know that bag is going to feel like 100lbs on the 3rd and maybe 4th days.