Difficulty level

Posted by: CarolaneCari

Difficulty level - 03/17/15 11:32 AM

Hello! I would like to hike for about 4-5 weeks. I found some informations on the Oregon Coast Trail. In the past, I have made a 2 months hiking (rather low level of difficulty). I wonder if this hike requires advanced knowledge (climbing , ...). I would like to do it with my tent. Is it easily doable?
Thanks for your help smile
Posted by: aimless

Re: Difficulty level - 03/17/15 02:00 PM

I haven't walked the Oregon Coast trail myself, but I have lived in Oregon for 60 years and know a little about it.

The Oregon Coast Trail is more of a walking route than a trail. It sometimes has you walking on roads, sometimes walking on the beach (where you need to be aware of the high and low tides) and sometimes it follows local trails, but these trails will be less common than beach or road walking.

Because this route stays near the ocean and the beaches, it has many kilometers that are essentially flat, with no uphill. However, the Oregon coast also has many headlands and small mountains you must cross, and these may rise up more than 200 meters above sea level. You won't need to do any mountain climbing, only walking.

If you intend to stay in your tent every night you'll find that somewhat difficult. There are state campgrounds and a few national forest campgrounds, and Oregon law has set aside the beaches as public lands, but once you step off the beach sand you may be trespassing on private property. Without careful advance planning for where you will camp each night, you should assume at least 5 or 6 nights in a motel out of your 4-5 weeks. There are many, many small towns and villages, so buying food will usually be simple.

If you come here to walk the coast I am sure you'll enjoy the beauty. The Oregon Coast is quite lovely and it would be a memorable adventure.

P.S. Expect some windy days, some fog in July or August, and some rain almost any time of year.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Difficulty level - 03/17/15 02:43 PM

The Oregon Coast Trail in many places is a road--US 101, with narrow shoulders and lots of RV traffic in summer. About the only way to avoid miles of road walking to detour around the many bays and river mouths would be to take a packraft to cross the river mouths. (paying careful attention to the tidal currents so you aren't swept out to sea). There is also a problem with places to camp, particularly on the northern end, which will force you into motels in a few spots. For example, there is no legal place to camp between Tillamook Head and Nehalem Bay State Park just north of Manzanita, since the state closed the Oswald West campground a few years ago. Beach camping is legal only if completely out of sight of houses (increasingly difficult, unfortunately) and at least 1/4 mile from any state park. The Oregon Coast is more commonly done as a bicycle trip.

That being said, the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Dept. has a series of PDFs with maps and a description of each section of the trail. Here's where to find them: Oregon Coast Trail Maps

You'll also want current tide tables and a watch, because there are many spots that are blocked at high tide.

In some areas of the beach you are restricted to wet sand only (and no dogs) March 15-September 15, the nesting season for the endangered western snowy plover. OPRD and the Western Snowy Plover

Posted by: CarolaneCari

Re: Difficulty level - 03/18/15 12:40 AM

Hi ! Thank you for responding so quickly to my questions and to have added so many details smile So if I understand well (I'm from Québec), it would generally be possible to camp, but I'll have to go in motels sometimes...
If i do it in september or october, would the weather will be good, or too cold ?
Thank you again! I will continue to think about it.

Re: Difficulty level - 03/18/15 11:04 PM

The later in the year, the more chance of a storm--for which you want to get off the beach until things calm down. Especially stay away from logs which the waves can roll on top of you (happens every year, unfortunately). That being said, September and early October are generally very pleasant. Do note, though, that even in midsummer the ocean water is COLD--surfers and more than casual waders generally wear wet suits when they go in. There are occasionally shirt-sleeve days at the beach--there were some in February when I was there--but most of the time it's more like the Atlantic in your part of the world.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Difficulty level - 03/19/15 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
The later in the year, the more chance of a storm--for which you want to get off the beach until things calm down. Especially stay away from logs which the waves can roll on top of you (happens every year, unfortunately). That being said, September and early October are generally very pleasant. Do note, though, that even in midsummer the ocean water is COLD--surfers and more than casual waders generally wear wet suits when they go in. There are occasionally shirt-sleeve days at the beach--there were some in February when I was there--but most of the time it's more like the Atlantic in your part of the world.

I don't know, I would think the water off of Nova Scotia is warmer than the water off of Portland. wink
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Difficulty level - 03/19/15 11:37 AM

Actually, the currents in Nova Scotia come from Florida. The Currents in Oregon come from Alaska...

Re: Difficulty level - 03/19/15 01:26 PM

In most years there is a deep-water upwelling off the Pacific NW coast, making our ocean waters at the beach colder in summer than in winter.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Difficulty level - 03/19/15 01:46 PM

As a lifelong Oregonian, I have to agree with OregonMouse that trying to swim in the Pacific ocean at the Oregon coast is a very foolish idea, no matter how warm the weather might be. I should note here that 77 degrees Fahrenheit or 25 centigrade air temperature would be considered a heat wave of major proportions. Even a bit of thigh-to-waist-deep frolicking in the waves will chill you very rapidly and those who try it usually retreat in ten minutes or less.

But it is a beautiful coastline. It ranks up with the best in the world for scenery.