Intro and Suggestions for resources please.

Posted by: judy

Intro and Suggestions for resources please. - 03/16/15 09:13 PM

Hi all, I have been enjoying reading all the posts as well as information on side boxes on this site. My mind is swimming with all the great new info. I wasn't sure whether to post in the newbie section or the old folks forum as I am both;).
I have been horse camping (camping with my horse and trail riding) for the last 4 years, prior to that my idea of being close to nature was observing it through a picture window in a climate controlled cabin. Now however I find being in the outdoors, surrounded by beauty and wildlife is almost a religious experience. Tis where I find peace and joy. I started reading tons of books, journals and guides on peoples experience hiking the pct with/out their horses..I know it is difficult and requires much support at trail heads. I then went for a short hike in Nov while my granddaughter rode my horse and I was hooked..I enjoyed it almost as much as riding..Thus the idea of hiking part of the pct, specifically in the JMT area became a "bucket-list" wish. I set Aug or Sept 2016 as my goal date

I am fat, out of shape and huff and puff going up an ant hill, so I just started dieting,hiking on the weekend, trying to slowly increase speed, endurance and intensity (not sure which you increase first) and slowly working on the eliptical.

I am reading every forum, books, articles I can get my hands on and watching tons of youtube videos on gear. I am making gear lists and putting info on specific items as I decide on them.

I just ordered a couple of books on maps and compass reading (I could get lost in a parking lot so I really need this, I do have a trail gps for riding though)

However where I really need help this second is recommendations for some basic info...I watched a youtube of a families hike on the JMT and in the comments someone had told them they camped in wrong spots, on fragile meadows, shouldn't be somewhere when it was raining or lightening may strike, had illegals fires..etc...I know nothing about picking the right camp spot, ( i did read stay 200 feet from water, don't use soap near water etc) staying safe from lightening, if I am above or below a tree line?? sorry I know I sound like a dummy, I assure you I am of at least average intelligence but none of these topics have been part of my life experience.......Help!! Where do I find out about this stuff?
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Intro and Suggestions for resources please. - 03/16/15 09:20 PM

We have suggestions on what makes a nice campsite on our website. But the best source would be Leave No Trade articles and sites. You can find many of them on the web.

having said that, don't take it all as if it were the ultimate religion. One of the reasons we all love backpacking is that there is still a certain amount of leeway in how we approach. Around here you are likely to see the initials HYOH...meaning Hike Your Own Hike. What works for others may not be perfect for you.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Intro and Suggestions for resources please. - 03/16/15 10:31 PM

"What works for others may not be perfect for you."

And vice versa.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Intro and Suggestions for resources please. - 03/16/15 11:08 PM

There are some basic books that many of us have read. The Complete Walker by the late Colin Fletcher is considered the Bible of backpacking. There are several different editions going back to the mid 60's or so. Also, Harvey Manning's book, Backpacking One Step At A Time, another old school book like Fletcher's. There is even Backpacking for Dummies and The Complete Idiot's Guide To Backpacking And Hiking. There are dozens of others. I have Fletcher's book and used to have Manning's. I've seen the other two in bookstores and online. Amazon has them all, plus many more. Newer books cover lightweight hiking topics like you find on this site. There are cooking books, navigation, trail guides, winter camping, you name it, someone has written a book on it. Not to forget the hundreds of websites that cover every aspect of camping and hiking. Don't forget, it's not just about gear. Anyone can walk into a store like REI and walk out with everything you need to get into backpacking. Consider taking a class with a club or group like the Sierra Club to learn basic skills. Don't be self-conscious either and as already said, hike your own hike. If you are getting into this for any reason other than your own pleasure, you're doing it wrong.
Posted by: judy

Re: Intro and Suggestions for resources please. - 03/17/15 10:37 PM

thanks, going to order a couple of those books!