Taking gear abroad?

Posted by: mariahae

Taking gear abroad? - 07/30/14 04:42 PM

I am planning a backpacking trip starting in Costa Rica working my way down to the tip of Argentina. I'm flying in September 18th, but don't have any out-of-country experience and am wondering how checking in my gear will go - most of it is harmless, but I will have a multitool, knife, first aid kit, mace, etc. that I'll be bringing with me. Will it be okay checking it in at the airport or will I need to ship some things separately?

Thanks! (:
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Taking gear abroad? - 07/31/14 12:46 AM

This site is focused on people who hike in the mountains, rather than those who travel inexpensively....but we face some of these same issues.

Bottom line? You should be fine for most things. Mace and compressed gas canisters are specifically prohibited from checked bags, so that's going to be an issue for you.

I usually put my backpack into a suitcase for travel...keeps is a bit safer...
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Taking gear abroad? - 07/31/14 09:10 AM

Sharp stuff and all but small quantities of liquids must go in checked baggage. You won't be able to take either mace or fuel in either carry-on or checked baggage. Those will have to be bought locally when you arrive. Note that mace is illegal in a number of countries, so you may need to omit that item.

Contact your airline for further information on what you can or cannot have in your carry-on and checked baggage.

This site is for backpacking in terms of wilderness trekking, not budget travel. You might want to consult some budget travel sites such as Lonely Planet.
Posted by: mariahae

Re: Taking gear abroad? - 07/31/14 12:04 PM

Awesome. That actually helps a lot smile I'll give the airline a call to confirm. The trip I have planned is primarily wilderness trekking; I'll be taking rural and virgin routes and living/camping out of my backpack rather than hostiles like most backpackers that are there to tour, but I'll check out Lonely Planet too.
Thank you!!
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Taking gear abroad? - 08/01/14 09:35 AM

Yeah--you'll want to avoid the hostiles wherever you can

:^)
Posted by: ndsol

Re: Taking gear abroad? - 08/02/14 02:24 PM

As an FYI, with respect to the TSA, "One 4 ounce (118ml) container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. Self Defense Sprays containing more than 2% by mass of Tear Gas (CS or CN) are prohibited in Checked Baggage."
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Taking gear abroad? - 08/02/14 11:16 PM

Do check the laws of the countries you're going to, though. Some countries forbid the stuff (Canada being only one).
Posted by: Savvy

Re: Taking gear abroad? - 08/04/14 10:45 AM

A lot of things you can buy when you get there, they will also be cheaper. Knives can go into the hold, but again, why not buy when you get there?