Temperature changes and gear question

Posted by: Blackcat

Temperature changes and gear question - 05/20/13 12:08 AM

I live in Canadas Northern rocky mountains. In winter the temperature is average minus 25F as low as minus 50F. In the spring and summer the temperature can range between plus 20F in the day to below freezing at night possibly minus 5-10F Im just getting into hiking and camping out here and I don't want to carry a whole lot of extra gear. One pair of hiking boots one sleeping bag one tent and so on. With such a range of temperature ratings how do I make sense of what I need to stay alive and stay comfortable if I was out on a warm day and it dropped below freezing. Im mostly thinking of hiking boots and sleeping bags. I can make fires and shelter as well if need be to turn up the heat a little. I see hiking boots for minus 40 and standard ones for well above freezing... I have no idea... Its confusing. What are the basics of temperature control. Would it be better to go light and then add warmth through fire and shelter if needed ? Thanks.
Posted by: JPete

Re: Temperature changes and gear question - 05/20/13 07:23 AM

Blackcat,

I'm afraid my experience is exactly what you are trying to avoid.

When I did that kind of stuff (but not nearly as extreme), my answer was a very big pack. I used a standard Duluth.

The answer to the boot problem was (always has been, still is) is mukluks. I've never used them on dry ground. I carried them in the pack until we got into the snow. I've seen the Canadian Forces version on sale surplus, and I think they have a tread and can be used off snow. That might give you an answer.

The sleeping bag was the old Black's Icelandic, built for the Canadian Arctic Survey. It consisted of inner and outer (differentially cut) down bags that could be used separately or together. It also had a separate down hood, a large, heavy canvas cover and a large bulky egg crate open cell foam pad. They were intended for dog sled transport. These were extremely bulky (I rarely used the whole outfit) and are no longer available, but one can still assemble something more practical using that idea.

There's still a whole lot of bulk involved. The real expert on these questions is Phat, one of our moderators. He is currently familiar with the conditions you are describing. I believe he deals with the weight/bulk issue by using a pulk (a kind of runnerless sled). With a little bit of luck, he may come on and give you the real answers.

best, jcp
Posted by: Blackcat

Re: Temperature changes and gear question - 05/20/13 08:58 PM

I guess I could do layers and pack for every condition. Im kind of wondering if theres a middle ground. I like mukluks as well lol thought I was the only one.