New To Forum

Posted by: ShortGuy

New To Forum - 03/29/13 07:09 AM

While I don't hike that much I love to go camping and here lately I have wanting to somewhat lightweight and thought this forum would be a good place to get info to help me do just that.

I do want to go hiking more but feel I am not in the best shape for it but I do not condition myself for it either. Plus I'm getting tired have carrying a 30+lbs pack just to go on a 2 night stay and am miserable after a few hours if not sooner. I have made a spreadsheet of items and their weight so I can try to see what I really need.
Most hiking is on the AT in N. Ga., last hike was Blood Mtn. and that one whooped my tail, I mean I barely made it to the top even after someone toting my pack up for me the last bit of climb.

I haven't really read any threads yet but I'll skim thru and try to find some pointers.

Thanks,
Posted by: Pika

Re: New To Forum - 03/29/13 08:34 AM

Welcome aboard! I am sure you will find a lot of ideas here for lightning your load: a lighter pack really makes a difference, especially as one gets older.
Posted by: countrygirl

Re: New To Forum - 04/05/13 03:13 PM

I am new here also. I am from WV and love being outdoors. I had my first extended stay trip last year on the Appalachian Trail and am really looking forward to getting back there this year. I am looking forward to meeting people who love the outdoors as much as I do here, and to learning some new things as well.