new member here

Posted by: kardar2

new member here - 03/08/13 10:52 AM

Hello all,
Well I am going to be taking my first big trip the last week of May. I have a bad back. So I am going to be riding a bike (bike touring). I will be leaving Redding CA. Going to Crescent City CA. Going up around Trinity Alps. I think it will take 6 days. My question is: water treatment.... I see a lot of different styles. So which one can I count on to work best? Do the pump kind break ? I was thinking of going with gravity feed type. I am going to have two water bottles and a camel pak. I am also bringing a stove to boil water for food and tea. Thanks for your advise kardar2
Posted by: oldranger

Re: new member here - 03/08/13 11:14 AM

I am a fellow bike tourer. Generally you will get adequate water from approved sources - campgrounds and the like. On occasion I have obtained water from open streams. My preferred treatment is to boil. For backup, I might consider some type of chemical treatment. I would not lug my filter along.

With a good hot stove (Pocket Rocket) boiling is surprisingly quick and easy. I bring the water to a rolling boil, decant into containers, and proceed to the next round.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: new member here - 03/08/13 05:44 PM

The Sawyer Squeeze filter, at 3 oz. and very compact, is lighter than the fuel needed for lots of boiling sessions and takes a lot less time--you can drink the water right away. It can be used as a gravity filter, too.

Probably the next person on here will recommend chemical treatment. This is definitely a "Your Mileage May Vary" situation as long as you are using an effective treatment!
A filter is the fastest, though.

Just something to consider: To me, carrying a lightly-loaded and supportive backpack is much easier on my back than bicycling. Of course my back is not your back!

Enjoy your trip! It's a beautiful area!