new here

Posted by: flagrl

new here - 10/31/12 10:28 AM

hey yall, im new here,im 21 and i live in florida but plan on taking trips other places to hike, because i love hikiing mountains and seeing the views. florida has none. lol but i have done some day hikes in tennessee when i was there for a few months. and i loved it. i am looking to buy some equipment, and start going on 3-4 day hikes, in feb i want to go to arizona for a few day hike. anyways im just introducing myself
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: new here - 10/31/12 11:51 AM

Welcome to the forums!!

Yeah, FL's not the place for viewing from the high ground, but I've heard there are some decent trails there to hike, and you've got the beaches and warm, sunny weather, so you won't find any sympathy from when it gets butt freezing cold here in another month or two laugh

That's a tough State to get out of if you live down south though. If you live up north you've probably got some good options that aren't too far away. One of our longtime members here, PerryMK, has mentioned that he's compiled a list of trails in FL, and I was impressed with the total miles on it.

You know, the Ozarks are pretty sweet this time of year for backpacking, and you can catch a flight to Little Rock, Springfield, or Branson and be only an hour or two from some great spots, so keep that in mind too.

Be sure to check out the links on the left side of the main page for the forums here, and the homepage of the site, http://www.backpacking.net for some great info and gear lists, and be sure to ask any questions you have here. You'll get lots of good feedback and advice.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: new here - 10/31/12 01:04 PM

Welcome. I'm 23 and it nice to see people closer to my age starting to take interest. I hardly know anyone my age around here that would go on multi-day trips with me.
Posted by: flagrl

Re: new here - 10/31/12 06:27 PM

yea its a pretty tough state to get out of but i will just have to plan a little bit more. ill for sure be asking a lot of questions on here. i have been reading alot today.
@etsu pride yea i know nobody my age who would put down the phone or internet for a few days to go hiking thru the woods. but i enjoy it alot
Posted by: JAY8533

Re: new here - 11/03/12 06:23 PM

Huh, lot of us Florida newbies around here lately. smile

While you definitely won't get any elevated views or picturesque scenes of Fall or Winter in Florida, there are some worthwhile places to go. What are of the state are you in?