Posted by: llamero

New member - 10/29/12 01:21 AM

Hello,
I didn't see a section specific for introductions, so I'll do it here.
I've been doing all of my overnight hiking trips with llamas for 16 years, but I backpacked for many years before that. Obviously I can't call myself an UL backpacker and will have more to learn than contribute on the topic, but I practice LNT and pack with a backpackers attitude, except for food and a few creature comforts. wink
I'm shopping for a new camera so I'm going over to the photography section. See you around.
Posted by: rionada

Re: New member - 10/29/12 01:25 AM

Welcome llamero!
Do you own your own llamas?
Posted by: aimless

Re: New member - 10/29/12 02:21 AM

Welcome!

We have a special section just for conversations about Hiking With Animals. The most common animals are dogs, but we've had some threads on llamas, too. You would be our first bona fide llama expert, I think. Anyway, feel free to share llama lore and anything else about your hiking and backpacking.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: New member - 10/29/12 10:56 AM

Welcome!

I have a couple burros that I hope to do some packing with, and they are the reason I came here. I figured that learning about lightweight backpacking gear would allow me to both lighten the load on the burros and take more stuff at the same time.

As it turned out, I was able to lighten my load enough to carry it myself, so I've been doing that since. Still, the burros are going to be put to use for that purpose. I think I'll saddle one up this week and go for at least a little ramble smile
Posted by: jbylake

Re: New member - 10/30/12 06:56 PM

Hi, I'm pretty new here also. Ask all the questions you want. The folks here are really friendly, and are well versed in light weight backpacking (the reason I joined this forum) I've learned more in a couple of months, than in a life time about light weight gear and hiking/camping. If you don't know something all you have to do is ask. People with experience are more than happy to jump in and help you out. grin

J.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: New member - 10/30/12 08:04 PM

Heck, yeah - we can mislead you with the best of them! smile

Welcome aboard.

Re: New member - 10/30/12 10:03 PM

Yes I own several female llamas. Two of them are packers. I borrowed and rented pack llamas for 3 or 4 years before I committed.

If I owned a burro, I would certainly put a set of panniers on it.

I'll start a llama thread in the animal section one of these days and see how it goes.

Thanks all.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: New member - 10/30/12 10:42 PM

Very interested in llamas have consider getting either llamas or mules. Have also looked into goats. What is llamas water consumption? Or I'll just wait for your llama thread.

Re: New member - 10/31/12 02:38 AM

Good idea rockchucker, I'll reply in the animal forum.
Originally Posted By rockchucker22
Very interested in llamas have consider getting either llamas or mules. Have also looked into goats. What is llamas water consumption? Or I'll just wait for your llama thread.