Backpacking basics

Posted by: SCLocke

Backpacking basics - 05/31/12 11:16 AM

Signed up to go to REI's backpacking basics class next tuesday night. Has anyone been?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Backpacking basics - 05/31/12 09:11 PM

No, but I'd be interested to hear what they teach. Some of their online videos are quite good!

Just don't let them sell you anything until you've read the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column.

Re: Backpacking basics - 05/31/12 10:03 PM

With the information from this site, I feel pretty well informed. Not that I don't have a lot to learn, but the information here has given me a GREAT head start.

I'll share how the class goes next week . . . .

Re: Backpacking basics - 06/06/12 08:20 AM

Well I went to REI's backpacking basics class last night.
The class was full 35 people. The instruction was good.

Having spent more hours reading on this site than I care to admit, most of the information he covered I had already read.

Thanks to everyone who shares his/her knowledge !

The instruction included;
The ten essentials, Navigation, sun protection, clothing, lights, first aid, fire, repair kit, food, water, shelter.

We talked about each and the different choices, and uses.
In many areas it comes down to preferences' and what works for you in the type of camping/backpacking you will be doing. No one size fits all . . . .

As the class went it was what it said, Basic. A lot of general information with the emphasis put on safety, pack selection/fit and quality footwear. Case being, protect your back and your feet, and let someone know where you are going and when you will return.

The information is on the REI web site, under the Learn tab.
If someone is new to backpacking, as I am, I would recommend the class. There is some good information and a chance to meet others with the same interest as you. The class lasted just over an hour and we received a 20% off coupon for attending.

Posted by: Gershon

Re: Backpacking basics - 06/06/12 09:35 AM

Thanks for the update. Was the 20% off something you knew about before the class or was it a surprise?

Re: Backpacking basics - 06/06/12 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By Gershon
Thanks for the update. Was the 20% off something you knew about before the class or was it a surprise?

It was a surprise. One that will cost me in the long run . . .
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Backpacking basics - 06/06/12 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By SCLocke
Originally Posted By Gershon

It was a surprise. One that will cost me in the long run . . .

That's the idea, but given that I'm planning on buying a couple things anyway, it might be worth going to a class.