Locating Backpacking social networks

Posted by: Ol Dirty

Locating Backpacking social networks - 08/09/10 12:40 AM

Hello,

I'm not just new to the forums here, I'm also new to backpacking.
Throughout my years and endeavors I've come to an understanding that the learning always comes faster when you buddy up with an experienced activist.
So what are my options when it comes to locating locals that I can meet with face to face, and possibly go on some trips with?
For the next three to four months I will not have a lot of time to spend on any long trips, but I would like to get out for a few twenty-four hour trips when I have the time. I want to get practice in with experienced backpackers as often as I can, but I'm worried my dense schedule might shun people away from helping me out in this aspect.
I'm interested in finding clubs, groups, or couples. I, however, do not have a bunch of money to throw out there to buy into joining a club, or paying a guide. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Locating Backpacking social networks - 08/09/10 07:37 AM

I'd do two things:

1) Volunteer to be an assistant Scoutmaster for a troop that goes outdoors a lot - and specifically one that backpacks. (I've encountered such troops from North Carolina along the AT at Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands in Virginia.) Be honest with them about your experience and goals. Most troops can use the extra help - even though you don't yet have the backpacking skills, you do represent one more adult that satisfies the two-adult rule, and you are also one more driver. The backpacking skills will come, and these are great folks to work with. As a bonus, you'll also get to know some great adults and kids.

2) Buy your gear, as much as possible, at the locally-owned backpacking store. Hang out for an hour or so when you go in, and get to know the staff. They're a great source of information on gear, and on where to go - most backpack themselves. However, show them the courtesy of actually buying from them when you can. I know the owner of the local store finds it very insulting when he spends a couple of hours with someone helping them fit a pack or learn about a stove or tent, then the person comes back a week later and says, "Oh, by the way, I bought that pack online because it was $10 cheaper." (He has no problem, however, with that person buying something online that his store doesn't carry.)
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Locating Backpacking social networks - 08/11/10 04:32 PM

Googling "hiking clubs" plus your city (or the nearest larger one) will often get you results.
Posted by: Kieran

Re: Locating Backpacking social networks - 08/14/10 01:36 PM

checkout meetup.com to see if there's a backpacking group in your area. if there is, they're usually low pressure get togethers.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Locating Backpacking social networks - 08/14/10 04:08 PM

Sierra Club in your area.