Divying up the bear hangs?

Posted by: Kieran

Divying up the bear hangs? - 04/28/10 10:23 PM

Hi All - I'm taking a trip to the BWCA with some friends this summer and have heard the bears are quite persistent there. So I was thinking of splitting up our bear hangs into 2 or 3 hangs, so as to not put all our eggs in one basket, as it were. Is this recommended? Discouraged? Useless? A damn good idea?

Interested in your thoughts - thanks!
Posted by: phat

Re: Divying up the bear hangs? - 04/28/10 10:32 PM

Well, it's not a bad idea, but remember that one good hang done properly is better than a lot of smaller crappier ones that aren't hung properly.

I hang using the pct method when hanging, although often today I simply take an ursack. also a good idea.

If you are backpacking and weight is an issue a hang or ursack works well.

If you are actually canoeing at BWCA - you could always just take bear canisters - they make great seats and they will also keep your food secure.
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Divying up the bear hangs? - 04/28/10 10:44 PM

Profound. I need to try this...
Posted by: Kieran

Re: Divying up the bear hangs? - 04/29/10 04:13 PM

Thanks Phat - the good vs bad is definitely a mantra to keep in mind.

We'll be canoeing, so weight isn't a huge issue, but as I reminded my wife while listening to food ideas, there still will be portages smile

The PCT method is definitely the choice method. And for anyone else who comes across this, someone pointed me to Cliff Jacobsen for BWCA bear knowledge, and he makes a good point in his article: don't use the same tree that everyone else obviously uses, as bears will be looking for the "food sack fruit" that grows there smile

I don't think we'll use bear canisters, because while weight isn't a huge issue, budget could be, and 2 or 3 $80 canisters makes this a costly endeavor.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Divying up the bear hangs? - 04/29/10 09:42 PM

I belive that there are some new large plastic barrels being used for protecting food from bears in the Boundary Waters. Check with an outfitter or the Forest Service. You may be able to rent one fairly cheaply and from the descriptions I have heard, it will hold enough for a good sized party.