I bought my first pack!

Posted by: wesarnold

I bought my first pack! - 04/06/10 12:55 PM

Deuter Act Lite 65+10 and I also went ahead and got me some smartwool socks to go with my new montrail boots. I'm super excited. Just figured I'd do a little showing off.

I would also like to note that I took you guys' advice and had the guy put weight in the bag and let me walk around in it before purchasing. Very glad I did - gave me a much better perspective on what the comfort level of the pack would be.

Hope you guys are having a great day! smile

Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: I bought my first pack! - 04/06/10 12:58 PM

Nice pack, congratulations goodjob

Now just get out there and have some fun!
Posted by: Andy

Re: I bought my first pack! - 04/06/10 08:49 PM

Yeah, that's a good pack. Looks like they screwed you on the daisy-chain, though.

Check the hang strap for the water bladder and put a couple of extra stitches through it if need be; the heat weld failed on mine the first time out.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: I bought my first pack! - 04/06/10 10:02 PM

Andy said,
"Yeah, that's a good pack. Looks like they screwed you on the daisy-chain, though."

Ummm, I don't get it. Are you saying that they no longer put daisy chains on it? There's been a lot of discussion about people cutting off daisy chains. I like them on my pack, but then they are made of spectra so they don't weigh much. Frankly they don't weigh too much made of anything so i guess I am agreeing with you - daisy chains = good, no daisy chains = silly UL notion.
Jim smile
Posted by: Andy

Re: I bought my first pack! - 04/07/10 12:51 AM

Yeah, the older version that I have - maybe 2008 and prior? - had the daisy chain, and a well-thought-out one at that. Not just the standard laced loop, but a cord-lock to snug it down and a couple of small retaining hooks that you could pop free and really open 'er up to strap on the Ridgerest or whatever.

Daisy-chains are great for capturing and hanging loose gear, bottles, or layers shrugged off en route; and for airing out socks and rain flys. Bad enough having to take the pack off to begin with; worse yet having to open the lid and try to stuff things in on the trail.

One thing I do like about the new Deuter pack - the four-point lid. My older 65 +10 is only three-point and does float a little bit if carelessly packed.
Posted by: wesarnold

Re: I bought my first pack! - 04/07/10 01:45 AM

I assume the reason for no daisy chain on this is is because stretchy pocket they added to the front. The pics I found show rock climbers with helmets in it...

I dunno how I'll use it yet - but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

I'm a complete noob - but just from thinking about the subject - the less stuff hanging off the pack the better. It's an OCD thing with me. Bothers me for stuff to be swinging about. No practical reason. wink

I can't wait to fill it up and go! thanks
Posted by: Glenn

Re: I bought my first pack! - 04/07/10 08:05 AM

You're exactly right, Wes - the pocket eliminates the need for the daisy chain for most people.

The daisy chain appears to be oriented toward something Jimshaw has correctly talked about a lot: mission hardware. If you're going to be using the pack for climbing, the daisy chains could be a must-have feature for hanging climbing aids and ropes where they're easily accessible. Likewise, I suppose, for photo gear (like tripods?) that you might want easily accessible, or that won't fit easily inside the pack.

But, if you're "only" going backpacking, they're normally not needed. I've never used them when I had them (though I never cut them off, either - too much trouble to save an ounce or two on a 5 or 7 pound pack.) Like you said, I prefer everything inside the pack or a pocket - nothing to fall off, or get caught on trees and bushes. Also, there's nothing like a full water bottle swinging around on a carabiner to make the pack ride really poorly.

If you do have something long that won't go in the pack (for example, a closed-cell-foam sleeping pad), you can simply lay it across the top of the pack, between the pack and top pocket, and use the "floating" feature of the top pocket to secure the pad in place. Tent poles or fishing poles would go on the side of the pack, under the compression straps and into the side pocket. Again, the daisy chains aren't needed.

My guess? You'll never even think about wishing you had daisy chains.